Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

PBS/APT show "Articulate with Jim Cotter" : FLW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: PBS/APT show "Articulate with Jim Cotter" : FLW Reply with quote

A PBS /American Public Television arts program produced in Philadelphia is airing this week on some PBS stations in the US with a segment about FLW. Stuart Graff of the FLW Foundation, Jennifer Gray of Avery Library, and a Wright Homeowner in the Philadelphia area were interviewed.

https://www.articulateshow.org/articulate/frank-lloyd-wright
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting video. Ms Gray is a bit too negative, and comparing FLW's work to Fascist architecture was uncalled for. (She does chatter, doesn't she?)

If every house FLW designed had been initially for, and subsequently bought by, owners as astute as Dan Nichols, whatever problems they accrued would not have been serious. Most home owners don't know much about how to keep architecture alive, and that isn't exclusively a problem with FLW-designed houses. Corbu's Villa Savoye (which had leaky roofs from the get go) was a mess by the time it became a public structure. Mies' Farnsworth House ended up with an enclosure of the entrance terrace with a screened porch! while Tugendhat's marble floors were covered by linoleum when the Commies took charge. Many Schindler houses, often built with spit and a promise, have been horribly mangled by subsequent owners.

I suppose there may be some justification for holding FLW to a higher standard, considering his stature.
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever this Dan Nichols individual is, he certainly seems like a good fellow!

Wink

David
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeton photos courtesy of Dan Nichols
jay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!

I especially enjoyed your segment, Dan, with the imagery of the movement through the house. (These types of videos often do more of a still-shot-and-pan effect than the experiential POV effect...) Was that something you suggested to the film crew, or was it their idea?
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an acknowledged cinematic clod, I gladly deferred to the cinematographer and did as I was told.
JChoate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Dan. That's a keeper.
Matt2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roofline on Sweeton is sure thin. Was this a different roof system than other Usonians?
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . .

. . . .
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo by our David C is my favorite interior view of the house . . .the area just inside the front door, a surprising luxury of space in a small house, and an ambience totally
unlike, say, the average ranch house of the day ?

Matt2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the drawings. So FLW angled the fascia so that it is basically invisible, giving the look of a very thin roof plane. Not sure this is entirely successful to my eye as it makes the roof seem too thin. It's very Japanese, but I do like the heft of his beefier facias.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two-board fascia on Sweeton is identical, in form and angle if not in width, to that found on many another Usonian; I believe it to be the single most commonly-used fascia detail in the catalog of pitched-roof Usonian houses.

One of the design habits which brings me closest to Wright is his use of whole numbers. The 1:4 and 2:3 roof pitches indicated on the Sweeton drawings are examples of this tendency . . .

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the heft of the bookcase shelves. They don't need to be that thick to function, but by making them thus, they make the bookcase more of an architectural statement.
jay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An opportunity to link the great Sweeton restoration thread:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=7523&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sweeton&start=135&sid=20eba70868c4997e05aeb5eb1ef54121

The video does a nice job of showcasing the entry sequence of the house, but it doesn't capture the sheer dynamics of the ceiling form, how it nearly doubles in height from the front door to the hearth in one continuous progression. The upward expansion is combined with the horizontal expansion of the window wall, which reveals itself the further you move into the main space. Then, when you come to pass the hearth, as the ceiling reaches its pinnacle, the southern wall of windows is revealed in an eruption of "release", its drama reaching into the sky.

Perhaps a way to think of the Sweeton's roof and ceiling form is in its pronounced effect of "floating", similar to houses like Neils, Glore, Olfelt, etc, with its white underside and thin mullion supports.... the ceiling floating like a white pillow-cloud above you....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: