Albert House, Racine WI

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Albert House, Racine WI

Post by DRN »

This lakefront house was listed in the NCSU website as a work by Wright....(scroll down)
https://images.lib.ncsu.edu/luna/servle ... =400&res=2

Was this a Tafel design misfiled, or a house by someone else? The house is given a 1944 date. Mark H., can you shed a glimmer on this? Is this related in any way to the Tafel designed Carl Albert house that was discussed on Chat some time ago?

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 9e310c9001

SDR

Post by SDR »

Very interesting. The floor lamp is Wrightian, too. Who would have come up with that form of screening . . .?

A useful collection of photos. On page 11 we see the back of Heurtley (virtually never photographed); the (unidentified) Gale, W Martin and Hills-deCaro all look good in cream and brown.

It's unfortunate that images are neither dated nor credited.

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

There is also a pic of Lamberson with a 1973 Pontiac Bonneville in the drive:
https://images.lib.ncsu.edu/luna/servle ... %2BStates/

outside in

Post by outside in »

there are two albert houses in racine. The one on north main was designed for the Father, whereas the one on the lake, and the more spectacular of the two, was initially designed by Tafel while he worked for Wright. In fact, the drawings are titled "Taliesin Associated Architects". Albert was a builder/designer/landscape architect who "discovered" tafel when he spoke at a local luncheon in Racine. He asked him to design his house and later became a collaborator. John Randall McDonald also became part of the team for a short time.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Speaking of Heurtley, did you know that a former owner (not Jane Porter) commissioned Bruce Goff to design a separate house on the side yard?

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

"Outside In" has the answer (I do not visit Wright Chat often...best to email me or message me). But I am not aware of JRM being involved in the Robert and Rita Albert House, 1941, (shown). He was apparently involved in the Carl Albert House, 1949 (I believe). The Robert and Rita House led to Edgar deciding it was time to leave the Fellowship (in his book, Apprentice to a Genius). I had the privilege of bringing Edgar from the airport to the first Albert House for lunch with Rita in the early 2000s on his visit to Racine. Mrs. Albert was a the door...Edgar bowed and said, "Madam, your architect is here!"

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg