Aaron Green for Sale

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Reidy

Aaron Green for Sale

Post by Reidy »

Search on 3512 Ross.

Is the part about Eichler accurate? This looks bigger and more luxe than what he typically built.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Wow. Everything about that is good.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep
Great roof.
Wonder if the columns are solid wood or boxed steel?

jay

Post by jay »

Very nice!
Aaron Green worked with Eichler?
Here's a direct listing with the same photos (I like seeing the google map)
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Palo-Alto/351 ... ome/598792

Looking at the satellite image and the lot lines....wow...talk about using the site to its fullest potential.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Wonderful architecture.

It appears from the photos that Green is using an interesting type of column that I'm trying to track the history of. This is a column of wood with a hefty center mass and thinner side elements that give an almost I-beam look. When the column joins the roof beam, the side elements continue to rise up and "embrace" the beam.

Anyone know anything about this structural system?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Matt, it's a form of post and beam structure; the detail you point to has been used by others, and perhaps once before by Green, in the 1961 Paulsen residence, Portola Valley CA. It provides for uninterrupted
glazing of a common width, from floor to ceiling---and certainly reads as a robust connection between post and beam, perhaps more convincing than any other ?

Bill Schwarz writes: "That is the house Aaron designed for a certain Richard Walker. It’s included on Page 411 of the Henning book about Aaron and later
in the chronological list [p 428] as a 1965 project. The Eichler Homes citation as its builder is accurate, and it was designed from the start with it in mind
that it would be 'Eichler friendly.' Aaron’s house for Walter Mischel on the Stanford campus was also custom-built by Eichler."

On page 431 of the same volume is another listing for Richard Walker, an unbuilt residence in Maui, 1997. The earlier listing includes one small exterior photo of little use in identifying the Palo Alto house.

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

Great house...the design gives a strong impression of the house forming a garden wall with a glass pavilion projecting into the garden. The suspended bunk bed is a slick surprise.
The Aaron Green monograph is full of gems like this...

SDR

Post by SDR »

The exterior view supports DRN's impression; the ratio of interior volume to roof overhang is impressive. It would be fine to see a plan ...

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is excellent. Love the massive mantel.
The minimal list of materials, simplicity of construction, countered by a triangular grid ... truly an elegant residence. I wish Henning had given it more coverage.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

SDR thanks for the information and the observation about the system allowing for the same width of glass floor to ceiling. It is a system an architect in the Northwest, Paul Kirk, used a lot. I'm trying to see if this was his innovation or if he adapted it from another architect. I've seen some homes by Paul Rudolf use similar sandwiched columns.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes---I guess that's where I saw it ... I really do like the detail, though in the present Green case the proportion of post to beam width seems a bit off; the post plates are to wide relative to the depth of the beam, visually if not structurally.

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Agreed. There is something slightly off about the proportions. Are such proportions dictated purely by some engineering formula? I'm not an architect and not sure how such things are determined. I'm guessing weight of the roof divided by the number of support columns would establish the required size of each column?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, engineering is the term for the art which enables rational decision-making about the sizes and substances, the fasteners and the "safety margins" of built
mechanisms. There's nothing (short of budgetary considerations) to stop an architect from choosing to use a beam which is deeper, and therefore capable
of a greater span, than the one specified by his engineer. To compensate, of course, he might choose a material with less strength---a different specie of
wood or alloy of steel---to compensate, perhaps restoring balance to the budget ...?

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »