Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

A Lautner Gem in Echo Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: A Lautner Gem in Echo Park Reply with quote

Not sure if we Chatted about this little Lautner in Echo Park or not, but I think we should...
https://www.latimes.com/business/real-estate/story/2019-10-11/before-and-after-rediscovering-a-forgotten-john-lautner-home-in-echo-park

I love it.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did look at it, briefly http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=12447

but I agree that it deserves more discussion. My assertion is that Lautner's work again and again embodies, in each instance, a fresh formal and (usually)
structural Idea. If so, this one is clear: a row of novel frames, supporting a simple flat roof (would they be moment frames ?), seen in their naked and
robust simplicity.

What else ?

S
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The continuous rhythm of the frame elements unchanged, whether inside or out, supporting that continuous blade of a roof is very pleasing to my eye. The closure partitions and glazing are simple screens as Wright called them, just lending some privacy to the very clear and elemental shelter made up of the frames and roof blade. A datum is set up with the continuity of the frames and roof through the house that both organizes the spaces and instills a sense of orientation within the house as it relates to the exterior.

It pleasurably struck a nerve.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes---it's not just the frames, is it---that marvelous roof, presumably concealing inverted trusses which inform the section. The street elevation is the "sell," on this one.

I imagine a riff on the theme would be a bat-wing (boomerang) plan, or even a curve---hemicycle fans take note ? And of course the roof surface need not be flat, but could take anything up to a 1:3 pitch, say ?

Further development could involve a clerestory, whose profile would be an extension of the frame. Whoopie . . .!

S
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!
To make a pitched roof, the truss framed blade could even be rotated in section such that one of the bottom facets was horizontal. This might set up a prospect and respite, or static and dynamic situation under a single element.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images of Lautner’s study model and drawings of the house:
http://architectoid.blogspot.com/2014/05/john-lautner-designed-residence-in-echo.html?m=1

and some recent exterior pics:
http://lukegibsonphotography.com/blog/on-mak-centers-architectural-home-tour-john-lautners-salkin-house/

interiors:
https://bestorarchitecture.com/the-salkin-house/
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite digging the rear elevation; the relationship of roof to wall is a bit awkward ? But if that's the worst that can be said of this design, I'll live with it.

Too bad he didn't find occasion to work again with this type. The trio of designs that use a three-legged steel spider frame---Carling, Polin, Jacobsen---seem to be the only such re-use of a form and structure in the Lautner catalog . . .

S
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing a Lautner model before. Did he do them often ?

S
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the new owners took out the fireplace in the living room.
But I don't see that fireplace in the original Lautner plan.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the fireplace in Lautner's plan---at the top of the sheet. It's an L shape. What's odd is that the photo showing the fireplace, near the bottom of the page, seems to require
more room where the photographer stood---implying an expansion into the carport. Yet the boarded volume in the exterior photo is on the wrong side of the carport, for that to work.

In any event, the restored street elevation is most convincing. The fireplace is present in the last photo on this page:

http://lukegibsonphotography.com/blog/on-mak-centers-architectural-home-tour-john-lautners-salkin-house/

S
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it
So what's that thing in the "Before Livingroom" photograph of the first posted article?
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fireplace in these two "before" photos is identical---note the (mis)placement of fire screen panels. The difference in the apparent
angle of the verticals in one photo is due to a camera lens choice; note that the angles of the structural frames varies as well. Compare
second and third images . . .

That the fireplace doesn't appear in this "after" photo doesn't mean that it isn't there; it is simply out of sight to the left ?

SDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the glazing---and the pitch of the roofs---remind me of Ulrich Franzen's house, a continent away and nearly a decade on:

https://ofhouses.tumblr.com/post/178032295778/591-ulrich-franzen-franzen-house-rye-new

S
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - that solves it.

This house also resembles the house by Saitowitz on Stinson Beach
... at least the peel up roof part.

BTW: That's the best look at Franzens house I've ever seen. Seems like a really great house to me. Did not think that before.
That website is awesome. Wish the other houses in general were identified by their architects more clearly however.
One thing that strikes me while perusing through it is how the more overly expressive houses don't hold up over time.

You post some really good websites here bro.
Thanks
("bro" means "brother" it's what hip kids say these days)
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude---I'm hip. Keep 'em coming . . .

I just prowl the Images pages on Google; the most amazing things pop up, from time to time. So glad I survived to the digital age. Just fell into the
wireless world; my new iPhone 6 S+ isn't even "live" yet---the number-porting-from-landline conundrum is operating. Had this number for c. 40 yrs . . .

Since linking the phone to the Mac I'm getting rashes of Notification pop-ups (slide-ins)---this morning it's Black Friday sale previews. Like most of
these, they don't stay on the screen long enough to bother---or even to be read. What's the point ?

Oy.

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: