Kalil House, Manchester NH for sale

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The conflagration is not calamitous as long as you are not fast asleep in a dead-end room when it happens.

They say wisdom comes with age, but not inevitably. I find intellectual sclerosis to be more common among the elderly.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The conflagration is not calamitous as long as you are not fast asleep in a dead-end room when it happens.
It should be noted that the subject house does not have windows large enough for an occupant to climb through in the event the bedroom corridor is rendered impassable due to a "conflagration". The only openings large enough are the main entrance door and the French door pair in the dining area.

Short of cutting holes in blocks, I might suggest 10lb fire extinguishers in the bedroom closets and a nozzled hose connected to a hose bib in the bath vanity....smoke detectors and CO detectors go without saying. I once worked on a house that had a sprinkler head connected to the house's domestic water system in a garage that was beneath two bedrooms...the house was otherwise unsprinklered. In theory, a sprinkler head could be connected to the hall bath plumbing and mounted horizontally on the bathroom's hallway wall to wet down the passage.

jay

Post by jay »

Fyi, I noticed the Kalil house is now listed as a "Pending" sale.

Oak Park Jogger

Post by Oak Park Jogger »

The pictures show a house that has been tended to in the last few years--maybe to prep it for sale. When I toured the house about 12 years ago it looked tired. Besides a lot of clutter which is now gone, every surface looked like it needed a good scrubbing, and the beautiful wood all needed to be refinished at any point it touched the floors. The neighborhood is lovely, and the lot is huge. It's an unusual house, and I hope it sells to someone who can love it.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Such good news ! And, several more photos of the house that I have not seen before, including a striking shot in the kitchen that seems an explosion of "transparent" concrete blocks.

The ribbon-stripe mahogany kitchen cabinetry is due for a serious cleaning and/or refinishing. It is a pleasure to see that warm wood, carefully selected, as a foil to the cool concrete.

S

victoriad

Post by victoriad »

We just got the news today. It seems the Currier is evolving under new leadership! (Museum director Alan Chong is seen in the video, along with Kurt Sundstrom, curator.)

I am astounded--and excited for our visitors, who have only been able to view Kalil from the van as we ride back to the Currier. Try as I might, I have never managed to convince any of them (as far as I know) that the house is incredibly warm and bright within, thanks to extensive use of Philippine mahogany and glass. But now they can see for themselves.

We are very grateful to the anonymous donor who made this acquisition possible, adding a fascinating new dimension to the Wright experience in Manchester.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Victoria, it's great news, isn't it: a delightful and inspiring contrast, demonstrating in no uncertain terms Wright's mastery of two "musical forms" as it were; no one-note wonder he . . .

And now your visitors can be shown the error of their beliefs, that concrete cannot a bright and comfortable home contrive !

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Fabulous news. Time to schedule a trip back to NH.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is most likely the best result. As a piece of real estate, it would appeal to a very small segment of the market, while as a priceless asset to the Currier, it will be a gift to all who visit.

From the video, it appears that all it really needs is a good scrubbing. The block-work appears to be in excellent condition.

There is an interesting detail at 2:28 where the perforated wall of the kitchen intersects the ceiling over the dining area. This could have been a problematic juncture for anyone other than FLW.

Kudos to Currier! Now I have to plan to take the Grand Tour from Kalil to Taliesin!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Incredible.
Can hardly wait to go back.
DIA Beacon is on the way too.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

jay

Post by jay »

The MLS shows that Kalil sold for $970k, which is well over the asking price. The anonymous donor makes this a unique sale, so I suppose there's no data points to be taken here (for my very lazy and unscientific pursuit of finding a Wright premium for his real estate prices).

Exciting news, though! Any guesses of who the donor is? I mean, it's Brad Pitt right?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Now that Ron Burkle, having bought the Bob Hope House, has unloaded Ennis, perhaps he's looking for a comfy New England getaway. Pocket change for him.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »