House in SW Indiana by Wes Peters ca. 1935

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

House in SW Indiana by Wes Peters ca. 1935

Post by DRN »

Is any one familiar with this house:

http://indiana.recentpast.org/2012/09/1 ... ey-peters/

I presume it to be the house Peters said he designed and built while estranged from the Taliesin Fellowship in the 1934-1935. Are there any other known photos, or is anyone aware of its location? Peters was born in Terra Haute, IN, and his parents later lived in Evansville IN...is the house in Evansville?

Thewes

Post by Thewes »

I am pretty familiar with it. The house is in Evansville. It is the only house he designed there that is still standing. There were rumored to be a couple more.
If you look on Google Maps (1506 East Indiana St.), you can see it.
I do have photographs if you are interested, but none of them are interior.
The original owner was some relation to Peters. When she died, she left the original plans to Taliesin.
[/img]

SDR

Post by SDR »

It would be great to see more exterior photos. If you are not able to link or post them, I'd be glad to do so. Can you send them to me via e-mail ?

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

If you check out Google Streetview this house is almost non-existent to the casual observer because it is set back so far on its lot.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Photos from Thewes. The house appears here to be surrounded -- now. The early shot is heavenly . . .

[edit -- historic photo removed at the request of its owner]

Last edited by SDR on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Google images:

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks Thewes and SDR.
Wow. The period pic is great...the fence is sharp...Wes getting his Schindler on?

A neat little house. To see a plan would be great...to see it restored would be even greater.

SREcklund

Damnable Civilization

Post by SREcklund »

Unfortunately, it suffers from the same issue as the Schindler House here in LA - what was once open space is now tightly packed urban living.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thanks for posting this.

Are we seeing the same perspective in the period photo and the one following it? If so, the canted fascia no longer exists (as does the extended section above the roofline). And there is now a vertical corner detail that the (new?) siding dies out into. Also, the original low fence on the right-hand side is either missing or now hidden behind the current dilapidated one.

I really like the look of the original building and fence.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

The viewpoint of the two photos seems to be similar -- the entrance side of the house. The chimney provides a useful orientation reference.

It isn't clear from those photos that the scheme is essentially angular. One wonders what the plan is. Yes, much has been lost. How long was it before Wright began playing with canted fascia on his Usonian flat-tops ?

SDR

krietzerjak

Post by krietzerjak »

I looked at this house in about 1989, and took interior and exterior pictures. It's 500 square feet were a little cramped for me. Give me time to dig through my pictures, and I'll post them. Things that stood out then was there was termite damage, roof had recently been raised slightly and recovered (originally flat). Original bedroom doors were stored in the shed out back. I think it was supposedly all Oak construction. Front diagonal living room with corner fireplace at the back. Tiny kitchen off to one side. Two bedrooms at the back sides with bathroom at very back corner. Fireplace had vertical slats to ceiling, I think. Bedrooms had open upper walls to LR. At the time, I really would have liked to buy it, but just too small. It is packed close in that neighborhood, and all those houses were built about the same time. It sits far back on the lot, and you wouldn't see it if you weren't looking for it. The neighborhood has gone downhill, and this house was visable on local news recently when a neighbor was murdered.
Andy

krietzerjak

Post by krietzerjak »

As for other buildings in this area by Peters, he built a house for Jack Price on Newburgh rd, but that was vandalized and burned down in the late 1960s. My Mom liked it, but I was too young to remember seeing it. Peters did some remodelling work on the downtown Evansville, IN newspaper building (Courior or Press, I'm not sure which). I also took some pictures of that building, but nothing stood out as his work. It was demolished a number of years ago.
Andy

krietzerjak

Post by krietzerjak »

SDR, Taliesin was not able to provide any pictures when I asked about Peter's designs in the area, only addresses. Where did you get the Thewes picture? Do you have a picture of the Jack Price house on Newburg rd, Evansville, IN?
Andy

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for asking. Poster Thewes will have to answer your questions; see the second and third posts, above.

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Alan Higgins, who wrote the piece linked by DRN at the beginning of this thread, has sent me a link to photos of the Peters house. These would be the first images we have seen of the interior, and of details of the exterior.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan-higgi ... 675787088/

In re-reading Mr Higgins' short essay, I am struck that we have not much explored the possibilities of the genesis of this structure, coming as it does at least a year before the design of the first Jacobs house. Would Mr Wright have been working on that conception prior to Wes Peters' departure ?

SDR