Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

For sale: MCM - Joliet, IL - $200K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: For sale: MCM - Joliet, IL - $200K Reply with quote

Untouched midcentury time capsule asks $200K

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I can see is its location at a busy intersection. Larkin Avenue and Glenwood Avenue (adjacent to the south border of the huge lot) are busy 4-lane roads. Beyond the intersection, the neighborhood becomes less single-family residential, with large apartment buildings, a high school and commercial buildings, thus the modest price.

The house itself is terrific! Maybe it's because I am of that generation, but the MCM houses of the 50s are like comfort food, the mac 'n' cheese of architecture.
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not of that generation, born 1965, and I find it move-in ready! The only possible change I'd suggest would be to pull up the beige wall to wall cut pile carpet to see what lies beneath.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the wide-angle photography, but the proportions of elements seems unconvincing to me. Beams too far apart or too dinky, spaces too vast ? These could be victims of the lens, I suppose.

S
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven by this house several thousand times as I attended the high school a block south (Joliet West - go Tigers!) when I lived in Joliet. The empty lot, I believe, is zoned commercial. The house is significantly higher than the street and the lot to the south, so that helps ameliorate the feeling of having the street in your front yard. It is also on a large corner lot so neighbors are no too close. It is in an area of nice homes, mostly ranches.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another look at the photos---this time at maximum size---reveals charms I had missed or mistaken before.

https://search.soldwithray.com/idx/details/listing/a019/10505216?ps_m=20700

The glossy panels on the walls of kitchen and bath are unusual. Glass, or ceramic ? And the Googie credenza in a bedroom is a delight. I switch my vote.

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: