Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright Model Making?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Wright Model Making? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of turning my model-making hobby into a side business. Does this board think there is a market for custom bass wood architectural models of Wright designs? What do you think would be a fair price? The ballpark is easily hundreds and possibly thousands depending on the complexity of the design.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly. Would you do monochromatic basswood, or fully colored and textured surfaces ? Glazing ? Scale ? With or without surrounding topography ?

These are all the questions I've asked myself, when contemplating the subject.

I'd be satisfied, ultimately, with a 1:4 or 1:6 model of Fallingwater including 50 yd radius site condition. Some living bonsai landscaping, certainly---perhaps radio or
robotic vehicles. Indoor and outdoor lighting, of course, the model housed in a room where various daylighting and night-time environments could be reproduced.

S
Matt2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that the scale/level of detail would be worked out for each customer based on their preferences and budget. The models should be on a MDF base with layers of cork to represent the topography, possibly a plexiglass box cover. My personal tastes are for more minimalist style of model as opposed to OCD diorama style. The basswood works well for wood Usonian houses, but less well for masonry like Fallingwater.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that choice. But, for the building itself, I'd be happier if wood was used as wood, with other materials---machined or CNCd MDF ? Cement or ceramic ?---for brick, block or stone, for instance.

But there are almost as many ways to use the materials as there are kinds of buildings, I guess. As Schindler said, "...glass, putty, or hot air ..."

It's the poetic materiality of work like Wright's that seems (to me) to call for attention to the contrasts between the substances being rendered, on the part of the modelmaker.

S
Matt2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Representing the differences is important. I've used foam core to represent stucco or concrete surface and at certain scales the grain of wood can convey the roughness of masonry. I think the reason Fallingwater is such a hard design to model is the importance of distinguishing the interplay of masonry, cement, and glass. But there are so many wood Usonians that would be great in basswood.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. A Fallingwater model would be wrong in wood---echoing again the reality. Not that I haven't imagined a poor man's FW, built of stone and wood, partially grilled or grated, open or seeming so to the weather, the woods, the stream ...

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps either unbuilt projects of interest or correcting built buildings so wrong it hurts would be interesting. Watkins or Morris #2 would be interesting unrealized projects, and a corrected Ennis would be worthwhile as well.
Matt2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my model making has been of unbuilt projects like the original Booth House. It's the best way to understand the design. Of course, many today would just create a CAD model, but there may be an audience for physical models.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre-addition original Sondern house would model well in bass wood...there are full construction documents and photos of the built condition in existence to inform the effort.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's not too soon to consider modeling the Oboler compound, in all its unbuilt or ruined glory ? Somewhere, someone must have found a way to make a convincing desert masonry surface ...

S
Randolph C. Henning

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serious regarding selling models of Frank Lloyd Wright designs for profit, before you go too far, you might want to check with Sean Malone, president and CEO of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, to be sure you don't overstep copyright or trademark boundaries. I'm just sayin . . .
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The architect's name is copyrighted (and, presumably, trademarked), at the very least. One imagines that it would be odd, but not impossible, to market models of his work without using his name. The interesting question would be whether the buildings themselves are protected by copyright. By all means, check it out thoroughly.

As an example, there are multiple models of Fallingwater visible online. Are any of those offered for sale ? If so, what have the makers done to satisfy the law ? Their example(s) could be useful.

S
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randolph C. Henning wrote:
you might want to check with Sean Malone, president and CEO of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.

STUART GRAFF is the President & CEO of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and has been since January of 2016.
Matt2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure only the drawings are protected by copyright law. But I'll be sure to check all of that out.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds right. The use of Wright's name might be the sticking point.

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: