Suggestions needed for new roof and fascia treatment

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
vortrex

Post by vortrex »

The roof is done.

The original build plans I have called for 1" foam board. Apparently whoever replaced the roof years ago decided to go in reverse and put in even less insulation. The only insulation in the roof was measured at 5/8" (R3?)!

The old roof was the 2.75" thick decking, tar paper, 5/8" blue foam board, then shingles nailed directly to the foam. I was somewhat amazed to see that the 52 year old decking looked like new, except for the area around the chimney which had shown signs of leaking during previous ownership. I was afraid that years of condensation forming under the old roofs would have damaged the structure, but thankfully not so.

The new roof is 2.75" decking, synthetic peel and stick vapor barrier, two layers of staggered 1.5" commercial polyiso, 1/2" sheathing, synthetic underlayment, shingles.

The new fascia will take some getting used to as the roof looks (and is) quite a bit thicker now. Went with a 2 piece metal drip edge, thanks to yellowcat for drawing it out. The important thing is the geothermal system is running at substantially lower output now, no leaks, and it even seems much quieter inside.

I'll attach some pictures tomorrow.