eBay: Letter signed by Frank Lloyd Wright

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Both of them---or just the one ?

It's a shame---but perhaps inevitable---that Wrightians must contend with forgeries, now. We have already been alerted to likely fakery at a Chicago gallery specializing in Wrightiana, and more recently of questionable correspondence on the market.

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=11517

Vigilance, here and elsewhere, may be a first line of defense. Ultimately, what is our recourse ?

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

If this is important enough, one could check Alofsin's index to see if the letter got written at all and with the archives at Columbia or the microfiches at the Getty.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, I would say it's more important than, for instance, some boob offering for sale a student model of a modernist A-frame, supposedly from the 'sixties and
said to be "frank lloyd Wright" (and said to have been purchased at a Wright house sale in a city with no Wright building).

Perhaps the main task of those wishing to minimize the appearance for sale of bogus Wright objects would be to call out, as loudly as possible, a "gotcha !"---
if not on the site in question (I see prospective eBay buyers are not now invited to correspond with the seller), then here---and (better yet) in more widely-read
art-historical and general-interest media ?

Any other (and hopefully better) ideas ?

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

The second letter looks graphically and compositionally more correct to my eye...the first is visually odd and unfamiliar.
I suppose the best way to determine authenticity would be to verify it against the correspondence on file at either Columbia or the Getty. The Getty was and likely still is the go to for correspondence they have scans of it all...I believe Columbia has all originals (carbons of sent correspondence) and the drawings.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Indeed. The second (smaller) note is more convincing on several fronts, from overall look down to spacing and vocabulary/syntax---isn't it ...

The creator of the probably fake example falls into the same trap as the maker of some falsely-credited drawings: intentional mistakes, here
in spelling/typing, intended to lend verisimilitude but only highlighting (for me) the suspicious intent of the effort.

S

jay

Post by jay »

Forgive me for indulging in a "theory-of-mind" exercise with the focus being a potential forger.....but why would someone go through all of the effort to forge a letter, including stationary, but then, instead of copying the full signature of the famous person, settle for only a first name signature? After all, isn't the signature the item of real value?

DRN

Post by DRN »

Pandering to the “Loving Frank� romance novel market perhaps? The “I miss our walks.� bit is on the more “intimate� letter signed “Frank�.

jay

Post by jay »

Oooohh! Yes I suppose that's plausible.... Gotta hand it to our hero "Frank"� what other architect, as an 85 year old guy, has a market for his fake love letters!

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

IMHO the first letter is highly, highly suspicious. A. I have never seen FLW sign "Frank" to ANYTHING. Let's say Gene Masselink signed at Wright's direction. He would have never signed first name only, but following protocol of the time, signed FLW full name and next to it or just underneath, HIS INITIALS. B. See the " Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation" side script. I don't think the Foundation came into being until AFTER April 1959. First letter : BUNCO Second letter, less suspect - Taliesin Logo and full signature. I rest my case.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I so want to believe that. But---but ...

https://www.arts.gov/article/frank-lloy ... ttsdale-az

Anyway, no. 1 is a fantasy, wrought by an idiot---apparently. He/she (we're supposed to say "they," now ?) could only have composed their (ouch) fake after seeing the real thing. What were they thinking ?

S

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Thank you SDR, I stand corrected, but I don't believe the term FLWFDN was in general use when referring to FLW until after his death. Also, the FLWFDN script seems out of place, forced, contrived. I'll take a "T" Square to those rascals.....HA HA !

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ouch ! (A dark day for young Mr Wright---and his co-workers ?) Yes, that sounds right. I have to confess I seem to recall seeing that legend on an earlier (for us) Taliesin letter. Is it here ?

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 6223e8ee9c

Yes---on a check, and then a letter.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, the elimination of the anonymous pronoun is unfortunate, making syntax awkward and ungrammatical ... and it is unnecessary. If the pronoun used is the gender of the speaker or writer, there would be no problem.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick, the issue arises when the gender of the subject or subjects is unknown, as happens frequently, of course.

I wonder how the problem is handled in other modern languages ...

S

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

m.perrino wrote: I don't think the Foundation came into being until AFTER April 1959. First letter : BUNCO Second letter, less suspect - Taliesin Logo and full signature. I rest my case.
The Foundation says it was created by Wright in 1940: "Established by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1940, the Foundation is deeply committed to the preservation of Taliesin West in Scottsdale, AZ and Taliesin near Spring Green, WI."
https://franklloydwright.org/about-us/