Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: 'The secret curse of owning a FLW house'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Article: 'The secret curse of owning a FLW house' Reply with quote

The Secret Curse of Owning a Frank Lloyd Wright House

David
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scratching my head as to what Ms. Velez's goal was with this article.

I once spoke with a reporter for the WSJ about owning a Wright house and the article was all about "my investment" and their position was that it was not one which would yield an adequate return. In terms of money? Maybe. But it is not about the money. They didn't get it...I was just some star crossed rube.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLW's use of materials for interior finish should be a relief from the sterile white 'trend' of today, not a drawback. If white is what you want, move on. There are plenty of houses to choose from that have all the character of a Builders Emporium off-the-shelf product. That the majority of American home-buyers are bereft of aesthetic nuance is not FLW's fault.
outside in

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attribute articles like this to writers who want to make a name by "questioning conventional beliefs" - but rarely have anything meaningful to add to the discussion. Yes, FLW homes are not for everyone, and yes, many owners enter the real estate market with unrealistic opinions as to the value of the house. But the most frightening comment that was made is the "half of FLW homes are not listed as local, state or national landmarks, making alterations easier to accomplish" - I think the FLW conservancy should start working with homeowners to apply for the listing of homes as landmarks ASAP!
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o-i, I think they do. But their approach has always been very soft. FLWBC has always been reluctant to offend anyone, which can make such entreaties difficult.
toddlevin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the newest FLLW homeowner on this chat board, as I'm about to close on The Stuart Richardson House (aka 'Scherzo') in the next days. I think this article is fair-minded. The truth is that there is not a singular residential real estate market - there are many different but contiguous residential real estate markets based on aesthetic, geographical, economic, and other factors. As an example, for the narrow niche market of those buying homes fundamentally as works of Art by well regarded architects, FLLW houses clearly merit consideration. For the broader majority of home buyers who simply look at a house fundamentally as a roof over their head and feel no merit regarding aesthetic concerns, that's perfectly fine too. The only fallacy of an article like this is conflating these different markets (and buyers) into a singularity, and treating them as if one market has an effect on or relationship to the other. There is no single residential real estate market, and these different markets do not correlate at all.
jay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah seems like a "have your cake and eat it too" article.... In this case, a general realtor site looking for page clicks that a "Frank Lloyd Wright" headline will generate, while also assuring their general market readers that a specialty market item really isn't for them.

Maybe we ought to stop linking to these FLLW click-bait pieces?
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no single residential real estate market, and these different markets do not correlate at all.

Well put Todd, and welcome.
We are to be neighbors of a sort... my wife and I own Wright's J.A. Sweeton house in Cherry Hill, NJ, about an hour and a half south of you. Hopefully, we will cross paths sometime soon.
Dan Nichols
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Todd! I hope you enjoy many inspiring years in your new home.

I can’t argue with any claims made in the article, it’s just the overall tone which I find annoying. It’s dripping with cynicism, jealousy and it’s flipside, schadenfreude.

Peter Maunu (owner of the Jack Lamberson house, Oskaloosa, Iowa)
toddlevin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan: Interestingly, a good friend of mine (and an amazing singer) who lives in NYC named Alex(andra) Sweeton is directly related to the original clients of Wright who built your house. Small world. Yes, would enjoy chatting one day for sure... Very best, Todd
toddlevin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter: Thank you for your kind message. Usually, I love articles dripping with cynicism, jealousy and schadenfreude. They're like my three main food groups (lol). But I totally get what you're saying - it's snarky. t
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synchronicity at its finest!...we just showed the house to Alex (Muriel and J. Alfred's granddaughter) on August 5; she had last set foot in the house ca.1973.
pharding

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the author:
Adriana Velez is a food, wellness, and home writer. Her work has been featured in Healthyish, Prevention.com, Lifehacker, She Knows, and CafeMom.

What she doesn't mention is that most Wright Houses have had the same Owner for an average of 25 years. As someone who actually has owned one for 15 years, I can say with absolute certainty they are spectacular to live in. The daylight quality, cross ventilation, amazing level of detail, the flow of space and so on, all contribute to living in an inspiring environment. An opinion by a hack writer is an opinion without a whole lot of expertise to go with it.
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why prestigious properties can be a tough sell

David
jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adriana Velez is a food, wellness, and home writer. Her work has been featured in Healthyish, Prevention.com, Lifehacker, She Knows, and CafeMom..... An opinion by a hack writer is an opinion without a whole lot of expertise to go with it.

We all agree the article is misguided, but is a personal attack on the author necessary?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: