Article/videos: Great architects own-designed homes

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Separate videos for each of seven architects. Unusual ...

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Favorites so far: Corbu, then Neutra ...

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ise Gropius:

my husband was teaching in Harvard, and we made it a point to always ask all
the masters students out to the house for two great parties a year, and to give
them a chance to see a modern house in operation, because they couldn’t see
it anyplace else, except in the middle west, where houses by frank lloyd wright
had been built, or in california, where houses by mr

NEE-OOTra

had been built

(... for many a fine year already, it might be said ...)

When he died, it seems, Gropius had let the greenery take over in Lincoln, in a way dear to Mr Wright's heart ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Looking for early photos of the Glass House (I could swear that the exterior lighting on the fascia was originally cylindrical) I came across this series of remembrances. I've never seen the kind of detail about living with (and repairing) the house that's contained in these quotes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/garden/07glass.html

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, there are scads of photos of the Glass House online, but none very historic showing original lights. A photo probably from the 60s, focused on Andy Warhol at a Glass House soiree, shows the fixtures as they are now. A section drawing appears to indicate pendant lights. But I, too, have vague memories of black cylinders.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wasn't it interesting to read that PJ moved into the house without having appreciated that it would take exterior lighting to make night-time residence possible without the impression that one was living in a dance studio ?

Photos of the house in architecture compendiums published in the 'sixties seem to show the lights as they are now. So if a change was made it had to occur during the first two decades of the life of the house---I guess.

Anybody know what the red and orange discs applied to the glass "wainscot" are about ? And where did the drapes go ? Some photos seem to show an alternate window shading---apparently well-concealed at the ceiling.

S