Noshing with Wright Part 2

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mark Hertzberg

Noshing with Wright Part 2

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Steven Freeman is cooking his way across the Frank Lloyd Wright landscape. Read Part 2 of Noshing with Wright at www.wrightinracine.com

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

That's great. Did you shoot any of the Gridley house while you were there---or at another time, perhaps ?

S

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Mark Hertzberg

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This program seems so appropriate for FLW houses. Dining was the most formal family function of the culture FLW was born into, and one that he maintained in his practice. Good food, good architecture, a table with lamps on the corners, who could ask for more?

(I wonder if he opined about the 1950s TV culture, and the habit of noshing in front of the tube on those little tables?)

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Samara came with a cabinet that let the TV set pop up out of hiding!
Mark Hertzberg

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

But did the Christians dine on Swanson's Sea Food Delight while watching "I Love Lucy"?

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Mark Hertzberg wrote:Samara came with a cabinet that let the TV set pop up out of hiding!
Not only that, but Wright told John Christian when he put the TV in that they would probably want to have dinner while watching the news, so he designed some folding TV-trays for the house that had a perf design in them. The originals are still in the house.

I may be wrong but I think these were the first, and last, custom TV trays ever made before they were replaced by the ubiquitous rickety aluminum affairs. The house was from 1954 and TV became popular for regular folks a few years before.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

On December 24,1968, while working for May Co. during the Xmas season, I sold a set of solid walnut TV tables in a Danish Modern style to Ella Fitzgerald. Just fifteen minutes before closing, she needed one last present for an employee. She paid $50 ... $368 today.