Little-known (to SDR) Albert Frey restored

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Little-known (to SDR) Albert Frey restored

Post by SDR »

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/soaring- ... ~119358890

Vintage and contemporary photos, and new drawings, can be enlarged.

S
Last edited by SDR on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Frey does the desert so well....a more gentle footprint than Wright in some respects. Interior is crisply detailed.

Frey's own house:
https://www.houzz.com/magazine/diamond- ... s~82578502

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Architectural minimalism at its best.

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Both of those houses are just spectacular in their simplicity and respect of site. I was fortunate enough to tour and shoot Frey II last year, and Cree last weekend.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SDR

Post by SDR »

Do you have intangible impressions to share ? Textures, temperatures, odors, sounds, etc . . .?

S

Craig

Post by Craig »

Funny how they keep calling this house "little known." It's up on a hill completely visible from the road below and is in both the books on Frey. Other than that, nobody knew there was a house up there!
ch

SDR

Post by SDR »

It was unknown to me, and I expect to many others who might not have found the architect's books or happened to find themselves on the right street in the right town in the right state . . .

S

Craig

Re: Little-known Albert Frey restored

Post by Craig »

SDR,

You have a great deal of architectural knowledge. But using your criteria if I personally am not aware of something, can I call it "little-known?" Palm Springs is a town which celebrates all things modern. This house is on a hill on the main drag and quite visible to anyone driving by. The name seems a bit disingenuous to me.

If I have never been to Paris, nor read a book about the place, and when visiting stumble upon a tall tower made of steel that I have never heard of, can I call it the "Forgotten" Eiffel" as is being done with this Frey house?
ch

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh-heh. You got me. What I should have written is "little published"---beyond Frey monographs, which most lay consumers of modern American architecture would not have seen. (Frey himself is much less well-covered than his contemporaries, it seems to me.) Would I be correct on that count ?

S
Last edited by SDR on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I consider myself pretty well read about modern architecture in general and organic architecture in particular...and I was not aware of this house either. Albert Frey is typically identified in most surveys of the topic with three projects: his Aluminaire house with Lawrence Kocher in NY, his House 1 in Palm Springs, and his own house in the rocky hills of Palms Springs. There are many more works in his canon, but those three are the ones most often cited in the books I have read and the architectural history courses I took.
Sadly, I have not yet visited Palm Springs, (my grandparents lived there before my time from 1945-1950) nor have I collected a book of Frey's work with which I would become much more familiar.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Apparently another fact is little known: The Eiffel Tower is made of cast iron, not steel.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Wow, we are learning more about newly discovered modern buildings everyday!
ch

SDR

Re: Little-known (to SDR) Albert Frey restored

Post by SDR »

(Thread title altered to suit)

DRN

Post by DRN »

"Little known" is relative depending on the subject and the perspective of those involved in the conversation.
I suspect more than a few major works by "well known" architects I have studied extensively, would be "little known" to others.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"Over known" could apply to one building I have never seen, but heard about regularly during the 10 years I gave tours through Hollyhock: House on the Rock! Many people who had visited the Taliesin neighbor were convinced it was a FLW design, even though it was never misrepresented by the owner.

Stan, do you get that reaction from visitors?