Not Secure

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JimM

Not Secure

Post by JimM »

Before I start going down rabbit holes, is anyone else seeing "Not Secure" in front of the URL after logging on? If I happen to click on the URL, it goes away... This just started occurring recently.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I haven't seen it. Usually when I come across it on other sites, I ignore it.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I see it on virtual all the sites I visit. Are there any "secure" sites out there? And what does that actually mean?
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I assume it's systems like Webroot, McAfee, Norton, etc. trying to get you to buy their product. From what I have heard from certified Geeks is that none of them are worth the box they come in. I have security, because absolutely nothing on my computer is worth stealing.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

If you see a web address proceeded by "https" (as opposed to just "http" or nothing) it means it is a secure web site, according to this protocol: HTTPS.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

As an aside, connected to this subject only in that it concerns secure use of the Web, I unplug the power cord to my modem before going to bed every night.
In the morning, power-up is a very short event. I started doing this after having a middle-of-the-night attack in which my email contact list was accessed.

Others will have to tell me if my remedy is useful or meaningless...

S

JimM

Post by JimM »

Apple says it could have something to do with the site maintenance, certificates, etc-but not necessarily-and you can't really account for how any one computer will communicate with a site. There's no link to a sales pitch and no saved site or search ever shows "http" in the URL... only a security lock icon, and if I click on that any icon associated with the site appears in the URL. That's my Mac letting me know the site is "valid", although it is detecting something about the site that triggers the Not Secure error. Bottom line, there'd likely be other symptoms of any problem to be concerned about.

SDR, nothing can intrude when your disconnected from the internet. Assuming you're also restarting your computer, that actually can help keep things running smooth, i.e., a common fix for mail and internet setting issues... BTW, what year is your Mac? Mine is a mid-2011 iMac running up to date High Sierra...works like new but is the cut-off year and will not run the newest OS (Catalina) when released. Won't be a big deal; will be just fine as long as I'm backed up, and assume I'll get a new one at some point when the budget allows... Same thing is going to happen with my 6s phone next year... ($$) might be time for a flip-phone!

SDR

Post by SDR »

My machine is a late 2012 Mac mini. I upgraded it this year with a solid-state "hard drive"---runs like a top, now. Still using iPhoto, which won't be supported by the next OS, I'm told. Opera browser, which I like, at least visually.

I uploaded the Mojave OS earlier this year; no issues, and some pluses: "Stacks" for the Desktop is a hit with me---as a longtime abuser of my desktop !

I continue to have to log in every time I wish to post, here. I have asked if others have this issue---just as a point of interest--- to no avail. Maybe I should start a new thread, with Survey enabled ... ?

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

SDR wrote:I continue to have to log in every time I wish to post, here. I have asked if others have this issue---just as a point of interest--- to no avail. Maybe I should start a new thread, with Survey enabled ... ? S
I have to log in every time I wish to post here too! ...doesn't everyone?
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I think so, Paul. I know I have to. It's not a big deal, however.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, that's something of a relief; thank you.

It wasn't that way before the Big Outage---was it ? Not for me ...

S