eBay: Taliesin student drafting set - circa 1955

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I’d sure want a known former Taliesin Fellow to weigh in on the story of this item... is this how supplies were distributed; was this person a known staff member?

Tom

Post by Tom »

Pricey stuff.

In addition they are showing a shop drawing for Fallingwater windows
which contains a note instructing fabricators to leave the mullion 'T' long for placement in parapet. Unsigned blueprint @ $9K

Also showing elevations for Fredrick House @ $19K - one sheet.

wjsaia

Post by wjsaia »

I would say there are multiple questionable and problematic aspects that surround this offering.

No entity existed by the name of "THE SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE AT TALIESIN" until August 2017.

There was no "MASTER PROGRAM," no "TALIESIN EAST [Spring Green, Wisconsin] ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT," no "class books," no "school year," and no formalized welcoming as suggested by this "signed dedication." To my knowledge the only person who might qualify as having performed accounting for the thirty-six years cited was not named Helen Kinkler (last name spelled "Kindler" in the eBay description). Possibly Rood would be in a position to confirm or correct this particular point.

Would one have believed it might add substantively to type the word "Architect"--in this case, "Architect - Education"--below Frank Lloyd Wright's signature on a document by which Wright purportedly was to formally welcome an incoming student to his school?

Perhaps the misspelling, "TALIENSIN," on the subject line of the letter can be forgiven, but can we give a pass to the use of the non-existent identification of Mr. Woods as "Master of Architecture and Nature Apprentice Student?"

Further on the typed word "ARCHITECT" under Wright's signature: compare its purported 1955 typewriting with another example on a different offering by this same seller. (On the eBay page, under Seller Information , click "See other items.") Here we find a purported May, 1928 signed letter from Wright to the Gables Beach Club in Santa Monica to request that his guests be admitted under his membership--guests ". . . as potential investors in a grand project I have designed in Santa Monica." The type on both the 1955 student dedication and the 1929 letter appear the same. In particular, the curious design of the capitalized "C" looks the same on each. Even the textured finish of the paper appears the same, as does that of the Feb. 2017 letter signed by a Helen Kinkler.

There is also found here offered that same dubious 1907 post-marked post card from Wright to Mrs. Clinton Walker.

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... a0ccb954b5

And another post card, not previously seen, supposedly of 1928 from Wright to Mr. Storer that has curiosities similar to the others . . . and more . . . and more . . .

WJS

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I have seen a couple of these sets, totally genuine, the signature is also genuine, I am a large collector of Frank Lloyd Wright signed items. I have also asked a good Friend of mine author on signatures to look it over, and told me that the signature is spot on. It's a little pricey for me. The value around $1800.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Not every collector can be trusted to accurately assess items in their own collections...?

S

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I went back and look at this seller pieces for sale, I love the Midway plates, but he is way overpriced for today's market.