For sale: Richardson House - Glen Ridge, NJ

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

pinbasekaran@relay.edu

Post by pinbasekaran@relay.edu »

Thanks for posting news of the sale. For those interested in more information, please visit our home's official website. Link to follow.

pinbasekaran@relay.edu

Post by pinbasekaran@relay.edu »

Tom

Post by Tom »

Pretty sure this is another new one for me.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Shots on the website are really good and the coverage seems thorough.
Really nice house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Smashing photos, and so many of them ! What a treat. The house is looking just great...

I had previously missed the crushed rock inside the glass, in the repurposed carport; that's a detail I feast on, so rare (practically non-existent) in most residential work---including, oddly, Wright's ?

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

The space originally designed as a carport is a screened porch; there is no glass enclosure. The stone closes the gap between the original concrete slab and the screen framing.
One enters the house through this space which is a VERY pleasant place for a drink and lively conversation on a summer afternoon.

My understanding is that the now screened carport may never have been used for cars due to the site’s topography. The Richardson’s commissioned the house prior to WW2, and built it after the war on a different (but very nice) site.

Tom

Post by Tom »

This house underwent extensive restoration by Tarantino.
Restoration process photographs here:

http://www.tarantinostudio.com/FLLW_Ric ... /Home.html

(On the house website there is a shot from inside the
kitchen looking through windows to inside of the screened porch.
Looks like the kitchen is on a level above the porch
but I saw no stairs ....?)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The kitchen is at the same level. The entire house is on one level.

One detail that doesn't show well in photographs is the ceiling of the living room. The cascade of boards drops down toward the center of the room, rather than upwards, as one might expect. Minor detail, but delightful.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Lloyd Lewis appears in photos to have that feature, but it's an illusion (scroll down).

SDR

Post by SDR »

The control of geometries in Wright's work is remarkable. In the case of the Richardson ceiling, the boards are kept horizontal, not canted, so the slope of the ceiling is a function of the
overlap of that cladding. If the lap had been made to occur in the opposite direction, the pitch of the ceiling would have been upward toward the center, not down.

One sees this planarity of cladding more typically on vertical Usonian surfaces; a Pew drawing illustrates the choice, and the method employed to achieve it. See bottom center of sheet:

SDR

Post by SDR »

Reidy's linked page is of interest. Just as it was a long time before drawings credited to Mr Wright were understood to be the work of his apprentices, certain sheets depicting Prairie period interiors are now known to be by George Mann Niedecken, Wright's Milwaukee collaborator. The Shaw watercolor renderings and the rug design for the Bogk residence, seen on the linked page, are by Niedecken...

S

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

I was surprised to see this house on the market so soon. Those of us who toured the house with the Conservancy in 2017 met the young new owners who seemed practically giddy at the opportunity they had created for themselves. I hope there was no downturn of life that forced the sale.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

DRN

Post by DRN »

All is well with the owners and the house. From what I understand, work schedules have made living in NYC more practical for them.