FLW sconces from Yellowstone's Canyon Hotel

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
aimenhoodle

FLW sconces from Yellowstone's Canyon Hotel

Post by aimenhoodle »

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I joined because I have matching slag glass prairie style sconces from the Canyon Hotel in Yellowstone Park. I grew up just outside the park and these have been sitting in a box since I was a kid in our basement. They were salvaged from the Canyon Hotel and the glass is in pristine condition.
I have only seen one other pair at a residence in Cody, Wyoming that have a metal top on them. I am pretty sure the metal top was not an original part of the sconce and was added by the owner of the house to cast light in a specific way to suit the aesthetic of the arts and crafts house they are installed in.
I am wanting to have the sconces appraised and am going to sell them. I am wondering what person or entity is appropriate to do this appraisal and how can I ensure they fall into the hands of someone who is going to maintain the historic value and appreciate them?
Thanks for your input!
Aimee

SDR

Post by SDR »

Aimee

Welcome, and thanks for your inquiry.

While I am not able to direct you to an appraiser, I can say one thing about your fixtures, without seeing them: They are very unlikely to be the work of
Frank Lloyd Wright, as he did no buildings at Yellowstone National Park, nor indeed at any of America's great parks. There are no Frank Lloyd Wright
buildings in Colorado.

http://wrightonthepark.org/wp-content/u ... o-Cook.pdf

Photographs would be necessary in order for any of us here, or any antiques appraiser, to judge the nature of your light fixtures. I am sure we would like
to see them. Any good-sized city should have someone practicing as an appraiser of vintage glass and metal objects.

If you would like to display photos of your fixtures here, I would be glad to help.

SDR

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

A search on arts and crafts auctions turns up a number of firms that deal in such pieces. They'd probably give you a sale estimate, based on a photo, for free, but they'd charge for a written appraisal (and they'd have to see the piece in person).

aimenhoodle

Canyon Hotel sconces

Post by aimenhoodle »

I wonder if I am confusing the sconces with the fact that the FLW Quintin Blair home has stained glass from the Canyon Hotel on display outside the FLW home. http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%2 ... 51-ych.htm
I will get some photos of them taken.
Aimee

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, aimenhoodle, that must be it. While Wright is the originator of what we call the Prairie Style, in America, many another architect heeded the call...

You found just the right reference. (It is unusual to find the author of the steinrag site giving so much space to work that is not Mr Wright's.)

I for one had never encountered this interesting building (the Canyon Lodge). Thanks !

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

(For the geographically challenged, Yellowstone is not in Colorado; it is in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.)

SDR

Post by SDR »

(I moved it, last week, to see if anyone would notice...)

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Every time I encounter the word "sconce" I chuckle, because a neighbor of mine could never get the word right: to him it was a "scone" !

S