Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

FLW book, summer read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: FLW book, summer read Reply with quote

Prepping for my vacation and looking for a book to bring with ...

Have you read this book? If so, thoughts?

Frank Lloyd Wright : The Early Years : Progressivism : Aesthetics : Cities by Donald Leslie Johnson https://amzn.to/31yEkQo

Any other good FLW books (more recent ones) that you'd recommend? Or really any good architecture books ....

Thank you!
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have not see that one. Sounds like yet another academic's grappling with the possible contents of the architect's mind and soul. Pearls before swine ?

What I want to know is, what was the critical reception of Alofsin, "FLW - The Lost Years," following its 1993 publication ?

As much as anything, the author with "something to prove" seems as pleased to be able to find fault with his predecessor Wright historians as to make
sense of Wright's "midlife crisis." Paul Kruty comes in for criticism, not only for possibly cribbing from Alofsin's dissertation on Midway Gardens in his own,
a year later, but for failing to provide his (Kruty's) "worthwhile treatment" of that project with a "critical apparatus or conceptual framework" in which the
Midway Gardens could be "adequately assessed."

Searching for his own "conceptual framework" in which to assess the changes in Wright's work and state of mind as he absorbs the European sojourn
and returns to home and practice, Alofsin resorts to comparing Wright's vow to "square himself" to his personal and professional situation, with the literal
(graphic) squares (and rotated squares) he "could have" noticed, in or on various structures encountered in his travels.

Really...?

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australian author Donald Leslie Johnson's first book on FLW was the 1991 tome "Frank Lloyd Wright Versus America: The 1930s," which was controversial in its day. He subsequently churned out several other books on architecture, some of which seem not to have made it across the Pacific. I don't know about the current book, but the first one was not memorable.

I don't have a problem with Kruty, but Alofsin sounds to me like an over-inculcated, under-educated prof publishing solely so as not to perish.

For a keen assessment of FLW, I would suggest anything by Grant Hildebrand.

An old book you may not have read that is very interesting is
"Urban Utopias in the Twentieth Century: Ebenezer Howard, Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier"
by Robert Fishman (1977).
jay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any other good FLW books (more recent ones) that you'd recommend? Or really any good architecture books ...

"A Place of My Own" by Michael Pollan
Modmom1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on FLW but he does appear in Mark Lamster's: "Philip Johnson: Man in the Glass House"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/books/review/mark-lamster-philip-johnson-man-in-the-glass-house.html
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good options. Thank you!
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FLW book, summer read Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
Prepping for my vacation and looking for a book to bring with ...

I enjoyed Ada Louise Huxtable's book on FLW: https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Lloyd-Wright-Penguin-Lives/dp/0143114298/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=louise+huxtable&qid=1560619713&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: