Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Similar Floor Plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickdrichard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Similar Floor Plans Reply with quote

I'm doing some research and hoping someone here can help. I noticed that the Don Lovness cottage, the Faculty house at Florida Southern College, and the Hause house all have a very similar floor plan. There are some small alterations, but for the most part, they all reference the same floor plan. Does anyone know of any other built or unbuilt Wright projects that also reference the same floor plan? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hause and the FSC faculty house, certainly; at Lovness, the similarity is confined to the main space ?

Anyway, there are other examples. We recently looked at Sturges, as the precursor to Sander. Several of the "solar hemicycle" plans are similar.

S
Matt2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a broader context, has anyone really pinned down the common attributes of a Wright plan? The plan was so central as a start point to the design, I wonder if anyone has reached some thesis on why they work (or don't work).
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the wrong construct to me. There is as much variety to Wright's plans as there is in the universe of house plans generally. Given that, if so, what commonality do you see in them ?

In any event, that is not what the poster is looking for...

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLW himself addressed this issue in his essay "Faith In Your Own Individuality," published in HB, Nov. 1955, pp 271-2, 302-4. He compared architecture to sea shells, which come in a limited set of types, but an unlimited number of expressions.
Reidy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Principle and Form by Laseau and Tice proposes a taxonomy of floor plans. It focuses mostly, but not entirely, on houses.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hoping to answer nickrichard's question...

While there are certainly a few Usonian-era houses with similar plans, Mr Wright's aim seems to have been to try as many new ideas as possible, including the arrangement of spaces---on the page, and on the ground.

Thus, the repeated plans are mostly found among the numerous unbuilt houses. A plan, once rejected or otherwise not taken up by the client for whom it was drawn, will be re-presented later, to another customer. This
process was occasionally repeated more than once: the most notable of these repeat performances must be the Ralph Jester design, which was drawn and redrawn at least four times in roughly its original form, and
several more times in an elaborated and enlarged versions, before finally being constructed, by someone in the Taliesin family, in a stripped and rescaled version---after Wright's passing.

In some cases a design, presented more than once, was nevertheless never constructed, while in other instances the design was ultimately built. The FSC faculty house, for instance, is clearly a recycling of the Hause
plan, created along with five others for the original Usonia I project, out of which the Goetsch-Winckler house is the only other built design.

In any event, no list that I know of enumerates this group of commissions; only leafing through the entirety of Taschen III and the last third of Taschen II, or volumes 6, 7 and 8, and the final third of volume 5, of the ADA
EDITA Monographs, will allow the inquirer to compile a list of the repeated designs, and those others which seem similar to each other without being in fact re-presented offerings. The process will be akin to a game of
"Concentration"...

S
nickdrichard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the responses. SDR, yes, the Lovness cottage is not a direct recycle, the way the other two are, but I can see the reference. One of my favorite things about Mr. Wright is how he both referenced and/or recycled designs. Anyway, if there happens to be another similar one out there that someone can think of, please share
jay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The FSC faculty house, for instance, is clearly a recycling of the Hause
plan, created along with five others for the original Usonia I project, out of which the Goetsch-Winckler house is the only other built design.

Might the other 4 plans for the original Usonia I project be posted someplace? I'd love to see them... The FSC faculty house certainly reminds me of G-W; a fun pair of plans to compare.

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=5639&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=9faafb39730c4977c8c92836f3aa2c46

Last edited by jay on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the six "Usonia 2" [sic] plans that were made, leaving out only Goetsch-Winckler. An eighth lot on the site plan appears to read "Farm Unit."

They appear as Plates 2 and 3 in "Affordable Dreams," the G-W book published in 1991 by the Kresge Art Museum at Michigan State University.

All six plans are drawn on a two-by-four-foot grid. The collages apparently represent what passed for camera-ready art, at one time...the worse for wear, no doubt, by 1991.

From left to right, Panshin, Newman, Garrison

Hause, Van Dusen, Brauner

Goetsch-Winckler at upper right:

Last edited by SDR on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garrison design exemplifies the L-plan Usonian, the first iteration of the Usonian type, represented by the (built) Jacobs I residence,
preceded by the (unbuilt) Hoult and Lusk designs and followed by several others, such as the Rosenbaum and Smith houses.

S
jay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! Thanks SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panshin is obviously a precursor to Rubin (S.343) in a mirror image. Patrick Kinney is a stone version of Panshin/Rubin, or at least a cousin.
jay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Newman plan is fascinating——love the brick walkway expanding out of the house.... But wow, the dining table has a bigger footprint than the kitchen.
UpOnGoblinHill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker and actually found something to contribute!

While there isn't a very big gap between the dates of the designs, The Charles P. Lowes Residence [1922] and the John Storer Residence [1923] have nearly the same floorplan. Though on first glance at the presentation drawings it looks like the Charles P. Lowes Residence might designate different construction materials than the Storer Residence.

Charles P. Lowes Residence
https://visionsofwright.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/lowes-persp.jpg
https://visionsofwright.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/lowes2.jpg

John Storer Residence
There's a great thread with plans about it here!
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?p=12034

Last edited by UpOnGoblinHill on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: