Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Schindler's Manola Court apartments revived

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Schindler's Manola Court apartments revived Reply with quote

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/06/02/manola-court-rudolph-schindler-enclosure-architects-los-angeles/?

https://www.livetogivela.org/about-manola-court

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interiors of this masterpiece have been hard to come by. One former owner was incredibly fussy about whom she was willing to rent to. It is a relief to see that it has been taken over by sympathetic owners.
Modmom1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning! There are more photographs here under gallery: https://www.manolacourt.com
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every architect can be credited, I think, with at least one unique contribution to the art. In Schindler's case, one such niche is his three-dimensional boarded ceilings...

S
Modmom1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what the yellow structure is (under gallery, third photo down from the center row)? Joe thought it might be a structure to conceal a light.

It somewhat reminds me of the Schindler light structure in this photograph that we previously discussed: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrN21w2gb2Z/
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about the same thing, Mod. It looks to hefty to be a light fixture; too little light would get out. But I cannot imagine anything else.

SDR, FLW did a similar ceiling at La Miniatura.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes---and I suppose that would have predated Schindler's. Perhaps his were in homage . . .

S
HOJO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modmom1 wrote:
Do you know what the yellow structure is (under gallery, third photo down from the center row)?

First click on the photo, then see text on the left of the photo:
"The office in the Penthouse at Manola Court, including original Redwood ceiling and Schindler designed ladder to access the sleeping porch on the roof."
Modmom1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HOJO. Now I can see a faint demarcation in the ceiling that is probably a hatch to the roof. Leave it to Schindler to make a mundane object beautiful!

So all you west coasters, are there no insects/animals out west? I recall a sleeping porch at the Greene and Greene Gamble House in Pasadena and you see all those sliding glass walls in Dwell opening to kitchens. I can't even imagine life without screens.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None to speak of in San Francisco. Crows and seagulls, and sparrows . . .

S
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every September the ants come marching in, searching for water. At our first place in Echo Park, they found a way into our freezer. It looked like thousands of chocolate sprinkles had been spilled. No screen in the world can stop those beasts.

These Schindler photos make me even miss those ant infestations.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the delights of California is the lack of most flying bugs. There are ants, as peterm notes, and, of course, cockroaches, and in some areas bed bugs have made a strong comeback. But compared to the buggy Midwest and Plains states, it's largely bug-free in California. I don't miss gnats!
Modmom1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a delight to be lacking in flying bugs! My snakes and frog keep us virtually free of mosquitoes but flies, which seem to appear the moment your dog releases their bowels, are disgusting.

The Glenbrow Tower ('64 Ted van Fossen) has a closet on the roof terrace with a rusted Murphy bed springs. It was used pre-air-conditioning for sleeping under the stars. We will not be restoring this original feature, as our $ can be better spent elsewhere. Good news, on the tower for those of you following, despite the enormous rainfall for the past 2 years (last year we had 20" above normal and this year is probably close), both the new roof and the roof terrace has been completed, and Joe has corrected the design flaws (TvF was never trained in architecture). The lower floors are airing out for a couple weeks before another mold remediation then the restoration can begin! We have also found a possible source for matching Douglas Fir (same era) plywood to replace damaged from another building in town. Keeping our fingers crossed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: