Ennis House for Sale

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Now we wait with bated breath to find out if this is a good thing or bad. It is possible the huge lot is worth $18M without the house, though the cost of demolition would be excessive. Nevertheless, it cannot be entirely discounted. It is easily the best lot in the Los Feliz Hills, and probably in the entire Santa Monica Mountain Range all the way to the Channel Islands.

SDR

Post by SDR »

An entertaining and well-written---and apparently accurate---article. I hadn't appreciated the extraordinary nature of the site . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Ennis is so dominant in the neighborhood that it can be seen far beyond "L. A.'s hipster-approved Eastside," as far south as the Santa Monica Freeway. The only things compromising the view of the house from below are 2 relatively new houses, one big, the other huge, downslope from the house. Both were built on land long vacant that Gus Brown wanted to buy to keep just such a blip from happening (and to provide parking for tourists visiting the house). The larger of the 2 is an amazingly slipshod pile of bits and pieces jutting out all over the place. Both detract from Ennis.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I can't imagine anyone could get a permit to tear this down. Isn't it landmarked? I be $18M has been put in restoration and stabilization over the past couple decades. You'd think the seller would have covenants against any radical alterations.

jay

Post by jay »

The Ennis house has a preservation easement�info provided by the website we are using.

https://www.savewright.org/news/ennis-h ... home-sale/

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

JimM

Post by JimM »

Probably couldn't be in better hands! These folks could have had anything else they wanted. What a place to light one up....

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Like, groovy, man!

Now there are two LA architectural sites when we can light up a doobie, Ennis and Sowden.

SDR

Post by SDR »

There have got to be people who have been told that Wright---Goff, certainly, and others---received inspiration from the Magic Dragon, at least some of the time. I've never heard that myself, mind you---but the thought has (clearly) crossed my mind . . .

In Wright's day it would have been opium, I suppose---shades of Sherlock Holmes & Co ?

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Old Bushmills is what I'd heard.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't know if LSD was available 150 years ago, but I have always assumed Henrik Ibsen was on something when he wrote "Per Gynt" with that nightmarish scene in the Hall of the Mountain King.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

a mere $18M out of a $300M fortune... "You only live once."

Besides it has been proven to be bad for your kids/grandkids to leave them too much money after you are dead.

DIE BROKE: https://www.amazon.com/Die-Broke-Radica ... 0887309429
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

As Dad said, "If I have more than a nickel left when I die, you will know that I miscalculated."