Video: Interview w/ John Rattenbury

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Interview w/ John Rattenbury

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

This was an hour well spent.

I certainly have a new respect for Mr Rattenbury, if not as a design architect, then surely as an architect, an apprentice to Mr Wright, a raconteur, and a gentleman. And my
opinion about another person I never met or knew, Olgivanna Wright, has been altered as well. I only regret that I didn't find this video until now, 26 years after it was made.

Now, what do we know about Tim Wright ?

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

SDR wrote:This was an hour well spent.

I certainly have a new respect for Mr Rattenbury, if not as a design architect, then surely as an architect, an apprentice to Mr Wright, a raconteur, and a gentleman. And my
opinion about another person I never met or knew, Olgivanna Wright, has been altered as well. I only regret that I didn't find this video until now, 26 years after it was made.

Now, what do we know about Tim Wright ? S
There is a page devoted to Timothy Wright here ... somewhere, but see:

https://www.dwell.com/article/grandson- ... l-f9548fa7

Also ... not really said is the sad history of John R's father ... and mother. A film, a TV special, and stage productions have been written and made about them ... in one production Helen Mirren starred as John's mother. See:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e17977561/

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There was also a book on the subject, which I lent to Geiger. Didn't get it back.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you. Numerous photographs of the Empress Hotel, Victoria, BC, are found online. Many of them show the building partially bearded with
opportunistic foliage. It occurs to me that this indulgence, never one that benefits the host structure, is permitted or even encouraged by the sentimental
and irrational component of the building's ownership---analogous, it seems to me, to the folly which permits and enables (not to the betterment of the
individual) human behaviors such as perpetual bereavement...

But that is, as they say, neither here nor there...

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Paul, it was #3.

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Many, many thanks David for bringing this to our attention. In all my years at T-W, I was not familiar with this interview. Since my early days, it was my good fortune to be associated with John "R" on different volunteer projects. I have directly benefited from his intelligence, good humor, selflessness and friendship. Presently he is living in an assisted facility, near T-W. Remind me someday to tell the story of the stars and stripes, further demonstrating John's "roll up your sleeves and get it done" persona. Again, many thanks. This meant a lot to me. MP

SDR

Post by SDR »

I think Bill S told me that he believes there are only four people left who "were there when." I hope we will find all that any of them have said or written about their time with Mr Wright and at Taliesin---sooner or later, and before it is too late.

S

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

In the early 90's there was a tremendous effort to document in written form and in audio and video formats, the recollections and reminisces of the fellowship. This was everyone, including those not living at Taliesin or T-W. Indira Berendston directed this action for the Archives, which were still at that time housed at T-West, using academic methodology. I'm sure this wasn't the only 'interview' John Rattenbury participated in.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Some years ago now, we were directed to an interview with Brandoch. That would be worth looking for. Eric's thoughts and memories would be worth having, and are no doubt recorded to some degree already. (Has anyone inquired how he's doing, after the fire ?)

A thread here devoted to such material wouldn't be a bad idea, no ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

In 1997, a hefty, buckram-bound, 2-volume, 543-page (one side only, 12 point, double-spaced) oral history of John deKoven Hill was published by the Regents of the University of California, transcribed from interviews by Maggie Valentine for the FLW Oral History Program. There are only two photos, one in the first volume of youthful John with an older man, taken in the 50s, and another in volume 2 of a much older John at the wheel of a car I cannot identify as to type, with a poodle sitting on the passenger's seat. Of all the apprentices, I would think John's reminiscences be most interesting.

John Geiger put me onto the set. I don't recall what they cost, but 'tweren't cheap.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you, David !

The Hill interviews are wonderful, but short on dates. He arrived at Taliesin while the Wrights were away in Russia, he reports . . .

The Wrights went to Moscow (to attend the first All-Union Congress of Soviet Architects) in June of 1937.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/990146?seq ... b_contents

Who is the Valentine who interviews him ? Clearly someone knowledgeable about Taliesin and Wright---and commendable for his or her insertions of historic fact: names, locations, etc.

S