Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Original Walker House Enameled Steel Roofing Panels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjsaia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Original Walker House Enameled Steel Roofing Panels Reply with quote

I have pulled out of the post-outage shadows the thread entitled "MY OWN PHOTOS... WALKER RESIDENCE, CARMEL-CALIFORNIA," initiated in 2008 by "gaunche," for Tom's benefit–as well as for all of ours–because the 2009 postings on Pages 4 and 5 therein include shots of the original Walker house enameled steel roof panels that I grabbed at the time from certain scenes in the movie A Summer Place. It should appear as the next-in-line thread to this new one . . .

Copper was a strategic metal in short supply during the Korean War, and costs soared so that it became infeasible as a roofing material for the Walker house. Roderick's report I believe is correct about the enameled steel supplier also having been in the appliance manufacturing business. Aaron Green obtained about five baked-on steel finish samples as a range of candidate matches to a color chip that had been provided by Taliesin. Upon presenting them to Wright to select his choice, Wright's directive to Aaron was, "Use them all."

It thus fell upon Aaron to earmark locations on the roof for each of the variously-colored panels. Over the course of 35 years I never knew AGG to be flummoxed by anything, but he told me that he found this particular task almost overly-daunting–to assign locations for every one of those colored panels in such manner that the result would appear to be have been an undesigned, random sprinkling.

Perhaps Tom was not yet with us at Wright Chat in those days. In 2009 there came a time when–uncharacteristic for him–our most esteemed and stalwart contributor, SDR, as we see here in an excerpt from Page 5 of that thread, ran off the rails goofing off apparently in a celebratory frenzy upon having reached the then-astonishing milestone of his 3,000th posting to this forum. Now ten years later, as he hurtles his way in unremarkable fashion well past 17,000, it occurs to me that Steve deserves another round of our appreciation for his ongoing, insightful contributions to the enrichment of us Wright aficionados:

* * * * * HEAR, HEAR: ENRICHED BY RITCHINGS SINCE 2006, HIP-HIP-HOORAY. * * * * * *

WJS

SDR wrote:
Tom

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always assumed the Walker roof was copper from the very start.

but:

"Just What Is It That Makes Today’s Homes So Different, So Appealing?"
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To which we must add, for the uninitiated, this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_what_is_it_that_makes_today%27s_homes_so_different,_so_appealing%3F

and, because Wiki apparently can't bring themselves to show us the thing in all its glory, this

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/just-what-is-it-that-makes-today-s-home-so-different-and-so-appealing/WQGp_dXaX9kjnQ?hl=en

Now, now, Bill---it's not all that. But can you tell me where I found the old black-and-white images of the Walker roof I just showed, here

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=11785&sid=40ccd33ef30917f64de5d7129de598e1

Did I get those from you, perhaps ?

Anyway, it's a delight to have the inside scoop on the roof panels, and Aaron's part in them. Thanks---as ever . . .

S
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and this http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=3535

Which I guess is what's wanted ? Guanche is missed, in fact---our correspondent from far-off Malaga . . .

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: