FLW Apprentice R Green Usonian-esque in Atlanta

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JChoate

FLW Apprentice R Green Usonian-esque in Atlanta

Post by JChoate »

I live in a house designed by FLW apprentice Robert Green (been here about two years). It's an interesting house because it was Green's first independent work, which he designed within months of Wright's death. His written account explains he was devoted to Mr. Wright, but to Mrs. Wright ... not so much. He did not linger at Taliesin under her command.

He had a practice in Atlanta for almost 45 years, wherein he evolved, like all architects do. But in this first house, I think his references to Wright's Usonians were his most intentional.

Along with the house came a thick notebook of photos and multiple rolls of drawings which indicate that Green had begun the work in 1959, then returned in 1986 for renovations & additions, then again in 1996 for more. Each time he returned, he fixed what had gone downhill plus corrected some of his earlier mistakes.

It's been referred to as the Copeland House after the original owners, however, Green's drawings titled it "Sequoyah".

I should scan some of those old photos to share the "before & after & after again". In the meantime, here are my own recent pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140080283 ... 3647230699
Last edited by JChoate on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Beautiful.
Is this the house near Collier Park?

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Tom, yes it is. Interestingly, that park is there because it's the site of the opening battle in the Civil War's battle for Atlanta. I've thought about getting a metal detector to see if I can find anything buried in the yard. Nowadays we're in sight of the skyscrapers, though, so that battlefield vibe is gone.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Somehow your house made an appearance in a thread on this forum a year or so ago, that's the only reason why I guessed it was the Collier Park house.

I have very fond memories of Collier Park as a high schooler with my best friends trying to stay sane, lo those many years ago.

But you've got one hell of house there. The photographs are gorgeous. You've obviously taken pride in it, a good thing. I for one and I'm sure many others here would be very interested in knowing and seeing more about Sequoyah.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Tom, I remember seeing that thread. You must be the one who has climbed the big, old wooden train trestle. My hat's off to that feat of bravery. When the leaves are off the trees I can see the trestle, which is a throwback to olden days.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep, was me.
Very glad you posted here. Looking forward to learning more.

peterm

Post by peterm »

So fine...

modern-eyes

Post by modern-eyes »

WoW!!! The house looks amazing. Are you a professional photographer? I felt like I was there.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Well, thank you for the compliment, but I'm not a photographer. Funny thing is, I took almost all of those photos with my iPhone. (Isn't it something what their technology can do?)
I am an architect, though, who has designed houses and been on many an architectural photo shoot where I've seen the pros pay attention to the light. I think it's interesting to watch how things look at different times of the day (or night).

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Stunning house and beautiful photography! I would love to see the before photos when you get the chance.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

JChoate:

Congratulations on owning such a wonderful home! And, thanks for sharing it with us.

Here is a link to an old thread from Wright chat on Robert Green's work.

On page two (2) I had posted some pictures from a visit that my wife and I made to your (now) home back in Spetember of 2007 as part of an Atlanta DOCOMOMO tour that had a couple of Robert Green's homes on it. We absolutely loved the Copeland House - not to mention the beautiful landscaping surrounding it, too.

Great to see that the home is in very good and caring hands. And, thanks for posting your wonderful pictures, too.

David

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

David those links seem to have expired.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Mod mom:

The pictures on page two (2) from the older thread that I had posted back then? I just tried them before posting the previous link to that old thread and they worked for me. And, I just checked again and they did. I'm not sure why they aren't showing up for you.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

"It's been referred to as the Copeland House after the original owners, however, Green's drawings titled it 'Sequoyah'."

You're in good company there; Fallingwater is also referred to as the Kaufmann residence, Auldbrass is the Stevens plantation, etc.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Mod mom, are you looking at the Flickr photos from Johnnyappollo? Those are gone. Scroll down a bit to David's post.