Article: Can the Pappas House become a museum?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The numerous fresh photographs here are particularly welcome .

This is presumably the only Usonian which from the start has been painted, inside and out, in a strong color. I really like it. Imagine what it would look like with multiple furnishings, accessories, and/or textiles in, say, turquoise . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Painted? I don't think so. The color of the block was, I believe, determined by the color of the earth in that area. Not sure about that, but considering Betty Pappas' devotion to doing things with exacting care, it would be strange for her to have painted the house. And yet, turquoise furniture would indeed look good in the house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Interesting. I based my assumption largely on the fact that all mortar to the walls and ceilings perfectly matches the "stones" (as we are told Wright called them, here). Considering
the unusual color, it is surprising (to me) that Pfeiffer and Storrer both are mum on the subject. Considering the strength of the hue, there must be a lot of earth in those blocks . . . !

S

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

Yes, they are not painted. It is incorporated into the block. How? I have no idea.

The new interior photographs are some of the only ones to ever be released besides Bette's book.

I knew an architect in St Louis that met FLW in person, but never got inside of the Pappas house. It just was not opened often.

I hope they can open it up, there is a elementary school adjacent to the property which would be a nice educational spot for kids.

I was also told they are working on a GoFundMe page for raising funds.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Hypno ! Long time no see . . .!

I love that house, and would like to see it---sooner or later. It's great to have the photos.

For now, I'll be offline for 24 hours or so, while my Mac mini gets some new hardware. Carry on . . .

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I understand that Wright made colored blocks by mixing powdered tint directly into concrete. He did this at least as far back as Richard Lloyd Jones (which is greyish-purple under the paint). For floor slabs the builders applied powder to wet concrete and spread it with a rubber blade, letting it bond as the concrete hardened (something like a fresco). Pappas appears to use both.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I guess they must have used a LOT of pigment at Pappas. Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that this wasn't done more often. Now the big question: Did Mr Wright propose the color at Pappas ?

There has been considerable discussion here in the past about the coloring of the Usonian slab. I believe I have a photo of original Colorundum containers from one of the houses . . .

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

Possibly the asking price is too high for a preservation minded buyer who will want to OWN and LIVE in the house. Put preservation easements on it and sell it to a preservation minded buyer... the easements are the only sure way to protect these houses, and they are not an impediment to the preservation minded buyer.
Though I’m all for public exposure to Wright’s works, I’m leery of a perfectly viable house becoming yet another house museum. I’d hope the directors of this venture, if it comes to pass, consider sleep-over options if they find themselves short of revenue eventually.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

photo Thomas Heinz, 1985
ImageImage

drawings and text © 1988 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

ImageImageImage
plan and text © 1993 by William Allin Storrer

SDR

Post by SDR »

It appears that TAA considerably altered the plan in the process of enlarging it.

Each Usonian Automatic has its own set of drawings, likely by different apprentices. Turkel is mentioned in the Pappas story; here are the two elevation sheets. They make an interesting contrast.

It should be remembered that the Pappas drawings in the Monograph illustrate the initial design . . .

jay

Post by jay »

Question: Have any of Wright's homes that have been operated as museum-type-things been lost, either to demolition or to significant altering?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Some (May, Martin, Westcott, Robie) had been badly messed with before they became public attractions, but they are back to their original glory. The Guggenheim exhibition house is the only case I know of an actual dismantling. I believe that the Usonian automatic that traveled with the exhibit ca. 1990 eventually became a home next to TWest.
Last edited by Reidy on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There is also the Peterson Cottage, which was forlorn before it was salvaged on the edge of collapse.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I don't think the traveling Usonian Automatic exhibit house could have been made permanent and habitable, as it was made of wood products exclusively.

Pieces of plywood and particle-board or OSB "masonry" can be seen in front of the house, in this photo.