Charles E Roberts gets a room

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JChoate

Post by JChoate »

AT TALIESIN, July l2, l934
Extensive operations at Hillside have added two new studios to the Fellowship's list of accomplishments and they have been named after two of the old Hillside Home School patrons - The Dana Gallery, named for Mrs. Susan Laurence Dana of Springfield, Illinois, who gave to Hillside the north wing of the school and The Roberts Room dedicated to the patronage of Mr. Charles E. Roberts of Chicago....
If Susan Lawrence Dana paid for the "north wing" I guess that refers to the two galleries (Dana & Roberts) and the connecting bridge/gallery ... not the drafting studio. I hadn't realized the drafting studio was a later addition to those two rooms (if built earlier, when?), but in Jack Howe's photos of the studio's construction it looks like we can see the "north wing" already in place as the studio trusses are being erected (I hope these links to the Wisconsin Historical Society work, sometimes they're glitchy):

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM25967

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM25968

This announcement in 1934 is interesting, after reading this excerpt from a blog about Susan Lawrence Dana discussing Wright & Dana's correspondence in 1933:

(This webpage is very loooong, so I'll paste this excerpt in case the link doesn't go to the right place):
https://susanandme.wordpress.com/page/10/

JimM

Post by JimM »

Appreciate the correction regarding "Isabel"... odd error for an otherwise well researched book (?)

pmahoney

Isabel Roberts

Post by pmahoney »

The only reason I was aware of Roberts history was that I included a chapter on her and her house in my 2011 book on the Robert's cousin house in Buffalo (Walter V. Davidson).

I did a brief family tree on Roberts to provide some of that information.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

The AT TALIESIN article announced the naming of the Dana and Roberts Rooms in their article dated July 12, 1934.
According to Wikipedia, Roberts had died just a few months earlier in March 1934. Perhaps Wright was touched by his passing, and that immediate timing factored into the naming (?).

Also, they report that Roberts was related to Harlan Bradley from Kankakee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_E._Roberts

SpringGreen

Hillside Drafting Studio

Post by SpringGreen »

JChoate wrote:
If Susan Lawrence Dana paid for the "north wing" I guess that refers to the two galleries (Dana & Roberts) and the connecting bridge/gallery ... not the drafting studio. I hadn't realized the drafting studio was a later addition to those two rooms (if built earlier, when?)
Yes. The two classrooms were completed in 1903 as part of the Hillside Home School construction for aunts Jennie & Nell.

The Drafting Studio was begun in 1932 & the Fellowship put a lot of work into it right in the beginning, but couldn't quite get it done. They kept working on it over the years, always with the feeling that they were finishing shortly, but didn't get the finish floor until Nov. 1938. They moved in the next summer after they got back from Arizona.

You can see the room with the unfinished flooring in the January 1938 Architectural Forum magazine issue devoted to Wright.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Thanks SpringGreen for clarifying the timeline.

I just looked at Monograph #11 and see where Pfeiffer also explained it:

In Monograph #11, the text above describes the two rooms functioning as "drawing storage and exhibition space". Additionally, there are a number of drawings where FLW was working out his the Hillside plans, consistently reflecting the location of the Dana Gallery & Roberts Room. In the first one, they are both simply labeled "Gallery":

Next, they're labeled " exhibition space" & "model workshop":

Two other plans exist where the spaces are labeled "Sculpture" & "Painting", with those positions switched:

SpringGreen

Post by SpringGreen »

That's the project number for the drawings of the space underneath the Roberts Rm. that FLW was thinking about for an archive in the floor below. It would have been interesting if work had been done on that. At least one of those drawings is reproduced in the Completed Buildings, v. 3.

The Fellowship made the decision to get those things to the desert, which makes sense in keeping them out of the humid Midwest. I can't imagine how angry FLW would have been to see those things then end up in NYC. I also can't imagine how FLW thought it would have been possible to put his entire archive under the Roberts Rm., which is smaller than the Dana Gallery.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Tom

Post by Tom »

So, it seems that this Charles Roberts created an electric car before the
turn of the century.
Cool what one learns here.