Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Booth Cottage?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zac, see David C's comment above mine.
ZacharyMatthews

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
Zac, see David C's comment above mine.

Caught it, Thanks Rod!
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endangered Frank Lloyd Wright cottage in Glencoe could be moved to new location under proposed lease agreement

David
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: BOOTH COTTAGE UPDATE Reply with quote

BOOTH COTTAGE UPDATE

Good News
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/glencoe/ct-gln-wright-cottage-vote-tl-0130-20200122-e2epzirjqbazvfktvksoyilone-story.html
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the one criticism that not enough time had passed to discuss the issue to death. This house has been endangered for 11 months. How much more time did they need? Yet it sounds, for now, that the outcome will be good.

I don't know anything about architect Scott Javore, but I do know of an eminently qualified architect just up Meadow Road who would be ideal for the job.
outside in

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended the hearing and was mystified by the neighbors' objections - the typical "traffic and parking" concerns (for an 1100 s.f. building) to "building in a flood zone" (some standing water in the spring). Pretty silly stuff. The pressure from the developers forced the Park Board to vote - now or never - and they did the right thing. Scott Javore is a third generation Glencoe architect and is donating his services to see this through. The person that has done the most work, Peter van Vechten (also lives in a Wright house) has remained in the background. Its really through his efforts that this is happening. My hero.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we consider the Booth Cottage (1911, T1119) as a precursor of the Usonian-style houses from the '30s?
outside in

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think calling it "early usonian" or precursor, is a bit of a stretch. Its a cottage with outside sleeping porches, built on a budget. The flat roof shares some similarities with the Laura Gale house so I believe its really simply a product of its time. Subsequent owners can be credited with transforming a summer cottage into a house. However, if the case for restoration and moving is made by calling it an early usonian, and it works, that's great!
DavidC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Column: A win for Frank Lloyd Wright fans: In Glencoe, a threatened cottage by the great architect will be moved to a park

David
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidC wrote:
Column: A win for Frank Lloyd Wright fans: In Glencoe, a threatened cottage by the great architect will be moved to a park David

FTA: "Gordon has called the cottage a precursor of the so-called Usonian houses that Wright designed in the 1930s. Aimed at middle-class buyers, the Usonian homes influenced the ranch houses that spread in post-World War II suburbia."

Congratulations to the Glencoe Historic Preservation group and all the others involved in this endeavor. When the house was sold, I did not foresee that this would turn out positive.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with outside: Aside from being flat-roofed and wood-clad, Booth Cottage isn't really much of a forerunner for Usonia. The complete lack of similarity in the plan gives interiors a different sense. In addition to the Laura Gale House, FLW tried to sell flat roofs to several clients, like Brown and Esbenshade. He also used board and batten on early houses.

Booth should be celebrated in its own right, which is a 'quickie' for a very important client.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: