For sale: Home by Peter Berndtson in West Mifflin, PA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

For sale: Home by Peter Berndtson in West Mifflin, PA

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Once again a Wrightian contrives a detail not found in any Wright Usonian as far as I know---in this case a light deck that spans the space in front of a living-room window . . .

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

Very neat. The remuddled bathrooms could stand to be "Wright-ed" or "Berndtson-ized", but other than that....

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, those windows are the ones facing the entrance, shown from the exterior in photo #1, while the windows facing the back yard appear in photo #5 (with the piano).

I like the house, even with the pragmatic treatment of exterior corners, rather than mitered boards.

I agree about the intrusion of the modern bathroom; should be corrected. But overall, the house looks good. I especially like the dining set in #6.

pgharchfan

Post by pgharchfan »

The house is in the Meadows Circle development, which has the Notz house by Cornelia Brierly across the road from this one (later expanded by Berndtson), and another Berndtson house at the end of the road. This is the best preserved / best floor plan of the bunch. $425K is a lot for the area.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The dining set piqued my interest; I could swear that I've seen those chairs before -- perhaps in the Brierly house ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Another neighborhood laid out with circular lots ! Did that detail come to pass ?

S

Craig

Post by Craig »

What is that odd raised seating area in photo #11?
ch

SDR

Post by SDR »

Craig provides photos published when the Notz house (c. 1940) was offered for sale back in the early 1990s.

"While the quality is poor, these images do provide a sense of the house - dark, all natural materials, and many cobwebs."

Thank you, Craig !

pgharchfan

Post by pgharchfan »

SDR wrote:Another neighborhood laid out with circular lots ! Did that detail come to pass ?

S
No, the lots are all rectangular. The Notz house sits next to two vacant lots that are not part of its parcel. If someone builds on them, the house will lose its view.

pgharchfan

Post by pgharchfan »

Craig's photo #2 of Notz shows the unusual front entry. A single car carport was originally behind that stone planter, right next to the front door. The carport was enclosed in the 80's to make an office area, and a new carport was added adjacent. The planter was added to tie it together.

SDR

Post by SDR »

We are lacking a plan drawing. Here are aerials that show the present condition. The next-door house -- tan, with brick chimney -- appears in the first of the photos that Craig supplied, above.