Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Examples of Recent "Usonian" Inspired Homes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Examples of Recent "Usonian" Inspired Homes Reply with quote

I'm hoping to start a recurring thread (like the "Sure we can call anything FLLW" thread) where we can post links to recently built homes that have a Usonian feel to them.

Here are two examples I have to offer:

1) https://seattle.curbed.com/2018/6/4/17413066/olson-kundig-house-tour-seattle-melissa-haumerson
Plus a floor plan:
https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/5bca/5855/f197/cc6b/2200/05b2/slideshow/13046_00_N54_high.jpg?1539987528

2) http://www.midcenturyhome.com/this-modern-home-honours-light-and-open-space/
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rough wood of the Seattle house is very handsome. I would be interested to see what Olson designed for himself.

The Australian house is less tactile, somewhat cold, but in form, it is a fine example of what FLW advocated.
jay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick– this is Olson's own cabin: https://www.olsonkundig.com/projects/cabin-at-longbranch/
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. The subdued colors work there better than they would have at the other house. The site takes on such importance, that the building has to be subordinate.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright expanded his residential space upward as the Usonian canon unspooled itself over time. Yet it has to be remembered that the first Jacobs house (as well as the second, in fact) had tall living spaces.

Jacobs One has a main roof (with a secondary "side aisle" on the street side of the room) of not much more than ten feet. Jacobs Two is a double-height space, of course.

Still, the upward expansion of the very tasty skeletal Olson Kundig residence seems (in the photos) a trifle exaggerated; one wants to see it "come down to earth" a bit, for the sake of a certain coziness . . .

Mr Wright had a felicitous way of combining high and low spaces, and roofs; most of the house can do with "low," including a portion of the main living space. Another case of "quality over quantity," or "less is more" ?

S
jay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only thought concerning the 16 foot ceiling height in the living area is that Seattle is pretty dark from about October through June, which is a long time.
Looking at more photos of this "cabin", you can see clerestories wrapping the entirety of the living space, which I'd imagine helps with the daylighting problem?

Somewhat related, when I visited the Brandes house, the owners told a story about how the "nook" in the house was especially dark in the daytime,
so Roy Brandes had Milton Stricker design the lights you now find in that area:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmichaeldavis/8522625463/
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it must be the case that different individuals can have very different expectations and preferences as to how much light, nature and/or artificial, they can tolerate or prefer.

It was the plentiful clerestories in that space that let me think that the roof might come down by two or even three feet. But of course I haven't been there . . . and that's a very subjective statement, one liable to change without notice !

S
Tim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true. When we modified our house, I wanted a lot of passive light. But no direct. I find direct sun (south) sunlight hard to take.

I also talk a lot about "wanting to suck your blood". There might be some correlation there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: