Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

For sale: Possible apprentice home in Orangeburg, SC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My numbers are totally accurate as of 2018, and we have just entered 2019! I didn’t wish to criticize your neighborhood by pointing out the obvious lack of racial diversity, a fact that I’m well aware of. (It’s not like it was any better when I lived in LA.) I made a point to accentuate the positives, something you have never done, as you continuously denigrate “Frisco” and it’s wonderful, often eccentric, diverse, well educated, and open minded people.

The obvious irony of your stance is that your town and SF have so much in common. They both are very expensive, liberal, affluent, progressive, LGBTQ friendly, abundant with night life, bars and restaurants.
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious how the same person who criticizes West Hollywood for being less than all-inclusive has no issue chastising me for expressing the same opinion for sections of South Carolina, or as I now call them, the "Anti-Friscos."
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are easily amused, Craig. I merely report what I see about me in a very tiny city. You make a generalization about an entire state, and by logical extension, an entire section of the country, where you no longer reside. I recall visiting Minneapolis in 2000, and being astounded how the demographics had changed since my previous visit in 1984, like a completely different city. How long has it been since you lived in SC?

I don't know the source of your information, peter, though I hope you rely on something more substantial than Wikipedia. I doubt that any estimate of the gay percentage of the population has ever been taken formally, and that it would only be speculation. I would contest the 50% number, however. I do know, walking around the city as I do, that the number of gay bars has diminished by ~2/3 (at least) in the 25 years I have lived here, and mostly in the last 5. The sobriquet "Boystown" doesn't bother anyone.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read carefully, I said that the male gay population was 39 percent, and homos exual population was 50 percent (conservative estimate based on the chart).

My sources: https://www.wehoville.com/2018/02/09/just-gay-west-hollywood/
http://wehobythenumbers.com/2018/02/08/how-many-west-hollywood-residents-are-gay-men/
You live there, so please provide us with more reliable numbers, since you contest these...
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that those numbers, which WeHoville admits are dicey, relate to information collected perhaps in 2012, or even as far back as 2009 (knowing how long statistical data can take to become ready for publication), for a 2013 community study. As I noted, the past 5 years has seen a considerable change in the demographics. Russian and Armenian populations have greatly expanded recently. In addition, the eccentric boundaries, with LA and WeHo intertwined, makes a survey practically meaningless. Nor are there any specifications published that might give an insight into the methodology, extent, accuracy or bias of the survey.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supply more recent numbers to support your premise if the statistics are too old. They were the most recent I could find.
Anyway, my point was not to argue about percentages, but that WeHo is LGBTQ friendly, rural South Carolina not very much, and that matters to many. I understand and respect the hesitation that many feel in investing in areas like this. And on a purely pragmatic note, historically there has been a direct correlation between larger gay populations and increased property values.

One reason we bought in Iowa in 08, was that same s ex marriage had just been voted in along with the state going for Obama. We didn’t anticipate the ugly backlash. Fortunately, it didn’t stop Des Moines from becoming a welcoming place for marginalized people. Hopefully, the pendulum will continue to swing in the direction of progress and inclusivity, not hatred, bigotry and intolerance.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"male gay population was 39 percent, and homos exual population was 50 percent"

Huh ?
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total, including lesbians.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant- According to this, WeHo has the greatest gay percentage of all American cities:

http://gaylifela.com/study-shows-weho-tops-cities-percentage-lgbt-people/
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the total population of the entirety of WeHo is only 16,698, and the chart shows only zip 90069, which is where the bulk of the gay community live, it doesn't add up to many persons. That zip code is at the NW corner of WeHo, mostly in the LA area to the north of that. So the WeHo population that is considered is practically inconsequential. I don't know the exact density of the area, which is predominantly commercial and single family homes, but not an impressive number.

I am not claiming that WeHo is anti gay by any stretch, but that the overall percentage of the population is less gay than it used to be just a few years ago.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they have followed your lead and are moving en masse to rural South Carolina. Or maybe Mike Pence’s conversion therapy has reduced the population?
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How long has it been since you lived in SC?

Not long enough to make me forget the confederate flags, which I found repugnant. I can only imagine how an African-American person must feel...

Also, I specifically cited only inland South Carolina, where this particular house is located. Any inference drawn to the entire state or, as you say, an entire section of the country, is coming from your bias and not anything I stated.

And yes, I am easily amused though Monster Truck competitions never really held my interest.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you smoking, peter?
peterm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick-

You enjoy using two tactics repeatedly. The first is to accuse another of not having a sense of humor, after insulting them with a lame joke at their expense. The second is, when you don’t approve of (or comprehend?) the other’s sense of humor, you ask what they’ve been smoking.

Maybe you have heard about Mike Pence’s views on gays (or a woman’s right to choose)? These policies are abhorrent to any thinking, feeling person in 2019. And now the president, in order to shore up his base, is also cynically endorsing this backwards thinking, in addition to his blatantly racist policies.

Would this man be welcomed with open arms in WeHo? https://www.indems.org/a-timeline-of-mike-pences-discrimination-against-the-lgbt-community/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: