Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

For sale: Possible apprentice home in Orangeburg, SC
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: For sale: Possible apprentice home in Orangeburg, SC Reply with quote

1357 Moss, Orangeburg, SC 29115

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At $34/sf, this is too good to be true. The condition of the house must be worse than it looks. I don't know anything a bout SC property values, but seems to me if the cost of restoration was as much as the purchase price, it would still be a good investment.

Under all the deferred maintenance, this is a beautiful house, but the real estate agent should have had a massive yard sale before photographing it.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location, location, location . . .

S
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Location, location, location . . .

Cue up "Dueling Banjos." Inland South Carolina? Pass.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeburg is due north of Yamassee. Do you suppose Joel Silver is a banjo picker? Prejudiced a bit?
peterm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small college town has an interesting history. There was a massacre by police after a civil rights demonstration in 68 known as the Orangeburg Massacre. Obama debated there in the 2007. The population of the town is 75 percent African American. Senator Bob Corker was born there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangeburg,_South_Carolina
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prejudiced a bit?

Having lived in the South I prefer to call it experience. Currently we have a Virginia governor with a lot of explaining to do over some repugnant photographs. For some of us, 1984 isn't ancient history.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet it is extreme to condemn an entire section of the country for the bad behavior of a single governor. Keep in mind that, while the plantation owners committed the crimes of slavery, it was shippers headquartered in New England that brought the 'cargo' over from Africa. There's enough blame to go around. And it hasn't ended.

There's an interesting take in FLW's Autobiography about the Civil War in a sort of review of Carl Sandburg's biography of Abraham Lincoln on page 514.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says the endlessly open minded man who misses no opportunity bashing “Frisco”. (Newsflash! Since 1953, no one in the city has been caught dead calling it that, after Herb Caen wrote his book “Don’t Call it Frisco”, except with tongue firmly in cheek. Even Angelenos know better.)

One of RG’s multiple disses of “Baghdad by the Bay” (again, thank you, Herb Caen-1940s) and its residents:

Roderick Grant to SDR-

“You get no points as a Westchester suburbanite residing in Frisco, two provincial enclaves, unaware of, and uninterested in, the greater expanse of this country. Just as Nixon knocked the socks off Manhattan in '72, Trump flummoxed the liberal ghettos in '16.”

I’m not sure if Roderick still resides in West Hollywood or not? Irony of all ironies: It is considered one of the most liberal cities in the US.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.

From p 514-15 of "An Autobiography":

"And then Carl, the genius, had to ride to riches by way of counting the hairs on the head and fingering the buttons on the clothes of our most beloved
national hero: that great leader who truly believed the Union could only live if half of it was destroyed in the name of Freedom by the other half: the
agriculturists on the wrong track, slavery, wiped out by the industrialists on the wrong track, machine production controlling consumption.

"The great fanatic who invented conscription-in-a-Democracy and by way of white-slavery drove black-slavery into the body-politic, instead of banishing
it---enthroning the money-power and the machine to wave the stars and stripes over a wrecked and devastated South, where a culture might have
taken root that would have cured its own evils from within if any real help had come from the North.

"Napoleon said: 'Do you know what amazes me more than anything else? The impotence of force to organize anything.'

"War itself is a denial of Civilization."
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter, if you had just a glimmer of humor in your being, you might not make such a big deal about the "Frisco" bashing.

WeHo politics can be trying, to be sure, but not because of a liberal leaning. Its take on redevelopment is becoming a serious problem. Some properties along Santa Monica Blvd. and La Brea, including one that demolished a Frank Gehry building, have built massive apartment blocks that cater, quite explicitly, to rich millennials; elders (that's anyone over 40) need not apply. Meanwhile, housing for the low-income is not to be found here.

The added stress on infrastructure is becoming obvious as water mains explode. Traffic, always bad because Beverly Hills doesn't want a freeway anywhere near it, has become onerous. WeHo City Counsel would sell your mother's grave if it profited them. But I still love WeHo, even though my favorite restaurant closed after 40 years of service.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gentleman with no ill intent, having been informed -- repeatedly -- that a favored nickname is not favored by the target of the witticism, would drop the usage. Wit and wry humor leave the equation at that point -- as I see it.

"Nevertheless, he persisted . . ." ?

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still persist, SDR, and will always. For the residents of SAN FRANCISCO to be so disturbed by the diminutive (as WEST HOLLYWOOD is called WeHo) as to be forever verklempt by it seems to be the excess. It does in effect prove the point ... as I see it.

Who called me a gentleman? "I deny the accusation, and I refuse to marry that girl."
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is particularly disturbed by Frisco, it just reveals a lack of sophistication on the part of the user. SF is the currently accepted diminutive, as is WeHo in your town, formerly knows as Boystown.

One of the things that makes West Hollywood a wonderful place, is that 1/2 of its residents are homos exual, and 39 per cent are gay men. The only drawback is the relatively small number of lesbians when compared to its counterparts in the Bay Area like San Francisco and Berkeley. (Since I’m humorless, I won’t call it Berserkeley. I’ll leave that “clever” nickname for out of touch, out of towners.)

In any event, many people prefer places to live which are inclusive. Being openly gay, black, or Hispanic in many places in South Carolina could be downright dangerous. If people have their reasons to be suspicious of places which continue to look backwards rather than forwards, I would respect that.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't kept up, peter. WeHo is much less gay than it used to be. Young straight couples and millennials of sorts have been moving into the city for years. There still is a miniscule number of African Americans, and not many more Latinos. WeHo is not nearly as inclusive as you might think, unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: