Book: 'FLW vs. America - the 1930's' - Donald Johnson

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Book: 'FLW vs. America - the 1930's' - Donald Johnson

Post by DavidC »

Anyone familiar with this book? The merits - or, lack there of?

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It is one of those books that I bought when it first came out in '94, and which I am going to read as soon as I can get around to it.

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

I'd love to laugh at that comment Roderick, but I'd wager I own more unread books than you do. :oops:

SREcklund

Re: Book: 'FLW vs. America - the 1930's' - Donald Johnson

Post by SREcklund »

DavidC wrote:Anyone familiar with this book? The merits - or, lack there of?
I have it, and plan to read it right after Roderick ... :lol:
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'd forgotten I have this book. It's been awhile since I opened it. So I'm taking a new look.
Its 436 pages of small print. LOTS of detail of Wrights life in this decade.
Political issues are dealt with, not so much an analysis of Wright's view as a description of what he said and did:
Most of it is contrarian and hence the title of the book:
Wright thought the United States was headed in the wrong direction.
Wright's trips to Russia are described and his time in London too.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thanks for the description, Tom. It helps give me more of an overview of the book.

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I vaguely recall (all of my memories are becoming vague. Anyone remember Vera Vague?) 20-some years ago someone who read the book telling me it was about issues other than architecture, which puts it at the bottom of my "to read" list. But finding anything about the 1930s trip to Russia with Olga in tow would be interesting. Did they meet Joe?

There was a publication by the far, far left in Minneapolis in the 30s (lasted less than a year) for which FLW wrote an article. While it was mentioned in a book about Mpls. which Geiger owned, I cannot recall the name of the publication, nor was I ever successful in finding any reference to it at the Mpls Public Library. It does not appear in "FLW Collected Writings."