Video: Midway Gardens - w/ Spyros Papapetros

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Midway Gardens - w/ Spyros Papapetros

Post by DavidC »

pharding

Post by pharding »

Very well done.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I have never seen the drawing of the Hollyhock furniture. It would have helped in my work on the living room couches, but apparently Taliesin kept it to themselves. For the overstuffed chair that is to be replicated this year, having that drawing would be helpful.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Okay, forget that . . . most enlightening. I've collected what there was to record by way of documents . . . always at a premium,
of course, considering their intrinsic and practical value, in what passes for scholarship, here -- where I am concerned, anyway !

(The sheet has "Residence A" written at the top, and again below -- doesn't it ? These are simple and unmeasured elevations
of furniture, more of a visual list or catalog, rather than shop or construction documents.)

S

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Roderick Grant wrote:I have never seen the drawing of the Hollyhock furniture. It would have helped in my work on the living room couches, but apparently Taliesin kept it to themselves. For the overstuffed chair that is to be replicated this year, having that drawing would be helpful.
I know that Jeffrey Herr has been to the Avery Library a couple of times since the archive was 'unpacked', but I've never heard what he found. The fact that we are now actively restoring the overstuffed chair, and recently created a pair of reproduction dining room chairs for visitors to interact with tells me that furniture drawings were likely among the finds ...
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SDR

Post by SDR »

". . . and recently created a pair of reproduction dining room chairs for visitors to interact with . . ."

Bravo ! I've been waiting for that; I wonder if this is a first . . .

S

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

It would have helped in my work on the living room couches
What work did you do Roderick?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Using early b/w photographs, taken with a fisheye lens, and free-hand drawings by RMS, I drew the plans for the living room furniture reproductions.

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

I am always loathe to promote myself, but you'll just have to forgive me this once. Hopefully someday you will be able to experience Midway Gardens again. I haven't worked on it in years, but have started back up somewhat. I'm actually further along than this (pretty old) video shows, but it should give you an idea.

And I don't want to hear anything about the mural not being the right mural for the Garden Club. I am well aware and was before I started on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSo1NTPQ2tw

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

What a loss Midway was. Odd that the pattern for the cast concrete blocks seems to be much more sophisticated and interesting than any of the 4 textile blocks done a decade later.

I won't say anything about the mural, but at 1:27, there is a shot of a staircase with a standard angled handrail, so unlike FLW. Where did you get that?

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

I agree with you Roderick. Unfortunately, I don't have any information on it other than a plan. I keep things simple until I have more information. I'm open to suggestions.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Read it and weep: sketches, of perhaps the most anodyne of Wrightian furniture from the horse's mouth (presumably -- or would this be RMS ?)

Sheet number 2006.12 ? Hollyhock house is 1705; Res A, 2002; Res B, 2003; Theater, 2005; Little Dipper, 2301 . . .

"Residence A" can be read at the far left upper corner in the first image, behind the white title:

© 2017 by Spyros Papapetros and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation