Boulter House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Richard A Levin

Boulter House

Post by Richard A Levin »

According to an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer (1/11/2019) the Boulter House will soon be up for sale. Asking price will be $695,000.
The house can be viewed tomorrow from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. during a Great House Tour sponsored by The Architectural Foundation of Cincinnati. Cost for the tour is $35.00.

SDR

Post by SDR »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

What a beautiful well-maintained house and priced very well!

Unfortunately Ohio is expected to get a snowstorm tomorrow, I just looked and Cincinnati is expecting 4-6 inches. May not seem much to us Northerners but my experience in driving the hilly terrain of Cinci during snow while I was in grad school was not a pleasant experience. I worked close to it just after school and was not aware of it's existence then.

Discovered this: "Cedric G. Boulter and Patricia Neils House is a registered historic building in the Clifton neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, listed in the National Register on May 14, 1999.

In 1949, Patricia's parents commissioned the Frieda and Henry J. Neils House in Minnesota and Wright promised to design a home for her when she married"

Here is a link to the owner's website: http://www.wrightboulter.com/home/

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Mm. I had found the History and Photos page, there, and passed on it because of tiny images. The Home page you linked starts with three vital and dramatic photos, and contains much else.

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Did Wright do the addition? The farewell walk-around video is interesting and very instructive on what I find so appealing about Wright...and a few things that I find less appealing.

The video starts with the walk around the property from below and once again we see the wisdom of nesltling a house into a hill. and having that Ship-prow style patio from which to survey one's domain. It's a frequent trick of Wright's and one that has powerful appeal.

I'm less of a fan of the entry being a bank of glass doors. The Brandes house has a similar entry that sort of feels like you're entering through a sliding door...typically a secondary entrance. And here the door leads into a rather cramped space...more cramped than compression. I take it there was an addition that created the dining area to the left of the entry? The plan indicates this was a carport. Did Wright do the addition?

SDR

Post by SDR »

In a word, yes he did. Storrer waxes poetic over the Boulter house, c. 1993; I'll post the lot shortly.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

ImageImage

© 1993 by William Allin Storrer

Tom

Post by Tom »

At Minute Mark 3:50 checkout out the glass cut to fit tapered wood of balcony parapet.
...or maybe it's the wood that is cut?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I believe the glass does not penetrate a slot in the wood, as has been achieved elsewhere . . .

https://cdn2.cincinnatimagazine.com/wp- ... -72dpi.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... BhaT250xHQ

That second photo might be upside-down ? But it pretty clearly shows the glass stops added to the siding -- which could also be discontinuous . . .?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Pretty standard stuff I guess

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, I don't see other evidence of crudity, so it's bit of a surprise. Any faithful Wrightian -- to say nothing of the old man himself -- would take pride in ensuring the presence of these small
yet crucial evidences of Continuity, Inside/Outside, and Transparency. And, the exercise doubles as evidence of the builder's skill and finesse. But not, maybe, in the present case . . .?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Love the film of the upstairs hallway.
I think it's the first time I've ever seen curtains like this in a Wright house too.

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

The Boulter House MLS listing is now online ...

Listing Detail #1606933 - Residential
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

This curtains are a bit oppressive to my taste, but not sure what alternative would be used. I suppose in today's world some sort of tinted glass would help cut down glare.

If all the vertical columns between the living room windows are load bearing, what sort of calculation would have been done to determine the number of posts and their diameter required to support the roof? Or did Wright just follow his grid and assume that a column at each grid corner would do the job?

The video indicates the doors to the patio are pretty narrow.