Video tour of "Grandma House."

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Video tour of "Grandma House."

Post by SDR »

I was surprised to find no previous thread devoted to the Harold Price Sr house -- nor indeed mention of it here, in Search or on Google, though that can't reflect the history, can it.

Nevertheless, I found this informative tour of the house given by Frank Henry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRe7CiLFa_Q

Perhaps this has been presented previously ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The video has not been shown before, but there are mentions of the house floating out there in the ether somewhere.

This is another of FLW's houses that needs to be experienced first-hand to be fully appreciated. Turquois, a common color in the 50s, works well in this house; it's hard to imagine the place without it, and with a brownish red instead. It is also the best example of Gene Masselink's artistry.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Wonderful!

Roderick’s correct. I’ve never truly appreciated this house from looking at photographs, but this video has changed my mind completely. Frank Henry is a model docent. The workspace is a delight to see.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'll begin a visual record with incidental concentration on the master bedroom modification. The bedroom addition does not appear on view drawings or sections, nor on Maynard Parker's early color photo, but is present on
the elevation sheet and on the published plan (5419.005)

It is a pleasure, at last, to see close-up color images of the "dotted-line" metal structural posts -- for instance . . .

Three screen shots from the Frank Henry video:

Image 5419.003

Image 5419.005

Maynard Parker photo

Maynard Parker photo

Maynard Parker photo

© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH, and © 1988 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

© 2014 by U-Haul, Inc

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That huge master bedroom, with its 36' long closet + a 4'x8' WIC, seems like FLW was saying to Price, "You want a bigger bedroom? I'll give you a bigger bedroom!" ... without grace.

Notice how carefully the vertical joints are arranged on the canted columns in the Parker b&w photo. As the blocks rise, with the 3/8 overlap, making each level 3/4" larger all around, the size of blocks change in order to keep the joints in line, left and right, up 10 courses, then with a single full block centered for the top 8 courses. The attention to detail is extraordinary.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Roof system ...?
Did Wright develop this or was it proprietary from elsewhere?
Steel grid and lay in "tectum" panels - probably asbestos
or some kind of fiber cement mix
Anybody got the skinny here?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Could the roof planes possibly be as thin as they appear in the sections ?

One of Parker's photos, the vertically-oriented one above, shows something above the decorative copper-work that doesn't seem to appear in, for instance, his color image --
even though that b+w shot is taken from a lower angle than the other. Granted, they show different roofs; maybe the atrium roof is made differently from the carport cover ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Interesting questions
The section sheet you posted shows roof details in the middle of the sheet.
Looks like steel channel welded to the grid forms the structural fascia.
Two layers of "substrate"
I bet one ( the "tectum" panel) fills in between the steel
Maybe the other (concrete?) is poured over top.
Then adhered membrane ... I don't know.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Tom

Post by Tom »

In the 50's the final layer would probably be tar and not
an adhered membrane .... right?

Stephen, can you get those details?

SDR

Post by SDR »

All I've got are the section drawings above, from Monograph 8. I'm looking at the steel in the ceiling photos -- major members, presumably structural,
and minor ones, supporting the Tectum in the manner of a dropped ceiling ? I see no indication of any of that in these small-scale sections . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

The detail drawings in the middle row of that sheet beginning from the left are roof details

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right -- here they are; good luck !

SDR

Post by SDR »

So, the taller roof-edge profile is associated with the "portico roof" -- presumably covering the atrium -- as seen in Parker's photo of same, while the roof with "6-inch C and I steel sections" has the lower profile seen elsewhere in the photos . . . ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep
And the fiber roof panels are something like 4� thick
And then a layer of 2� insulation
Very thin roof
Atrium roof has no insulation layer of course