Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Crime at Olfelt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that the house was first drawn without the basement level; the version included on the site plan shows no stair in the kitchen, while the others do not indicate a utility room.

Minor changes occur in the bedroom wing, across the three plans . . .

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taschen and Storrer are basically the same, except Storrer has inexplicably located the kitchen window slightly to the left of Tasch, which shows it as built.

I don't understand why the doorway between living room and kitchen is so high, unless it was meant to be a standard height accordion door (as indicated on the Tasch plan) with a clerestory above.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, minor differences in both bathrooms. Bedroom wing roof overhang would have prevented the centered kitchen window that Storrer drew . . .

S
John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Olfelt Reply with quote

"I remember when this house came on the market, thinking, "Geez, $1.5mil is a lot of money for Minnesota"

Please, learn a bit about Minnesota before you denigrate it.

Minnesota is home to 19 Fortune 500 companies, including some you may have heard of, such as United Health (#5), Polaris, Hormel, Land o' Lakes, Ecolab, General Mills, 3M and Best Buy.

There are certainly enough millionaires here to justify the price of $1.5 million for a house. And, by the way, Minnesota is home to 6 Billionaires. Not exactly what you would expect from flyover country, is it?

But most importantly, per your figures, the house is highly overpriced for its location. How to account for that? Frank Lloyd Wright of course. If the current "owners" paid $1.3M and are going to put in another $2M then they have a $3.3M house in a $500,000 neighborhood. Good Luck with that.

The only justification for the $1.3M price is Wright's design and reputation, which they are ruining. Wish they would realize that.
jay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I was in no way looking to denigrate Minnesota, all apologies if my wording suggested that. If my personal opinion matters to you, I'll confess that I'd choose a stable non-inflated economic region like Minneapolis over any of the "hotspot" economic areas in this country, where the cost-of-living has all but excluded people of modest means. Essentially, any place where "$1.5m isn't a lot of money" for a house, is in my view problematic.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, don't forget Target, Pillsbury, and Honeywell. Former companies closed or moved: Munsingwear, Getty Bank, Young-Quinlan Rothschild, Dayton's Department Store (which morphed into Target), Skippy Peanut Butter, Greyhound, Sears, Montgomery Ward.

The finer suburbs were also (in the past, I assume) home to more board chairmen of Fortune 500 companies than any other metropolitan area. Deephaven, in its heyday, was a sort of upscale New Canaan, CT.

The total area of Mpls. + StP. = 113.8 sm., as opposed to 33.6 sm. for Manhattan. The combined population of the Cities is 707,399, compared with 1,664,727 for Manhattan. For density, do the math. The Cities have so much park land, including 22 lakes, that everyone in the metro area could be comfortably accommodated at once.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to denigrate the natural and the man-made pleasures and amenities of the state and of the area in question, Roderick -- but would there be any financial incentives peculiar to Minnesota that might have attracted nationally-known corporations to the state ?

I am thinking of the banking or lending laws unique to South Dakota that made it a no-brainer for the big banks to establish headquarters there . . . if I have that right.

https://www.marketplace.org/2009/03/25/business/borrowers/sioux-falls-town-credit-built

Or are there other reasons that the state became home to so many prominent companies, over the years ?

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.
JJM2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos from the street of the construction site recently. I was not able to see the connection of the new structure to the Wright house from the street or if there are any changes to the living room facade. I was able to tour the home while the Olfelts were still living there. It was so wonderful to see a complete work as Wright intended it, original furnishings and all.

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By way of comparison (and with no attempt to glamorize the original---clearly).

Wright's brick core can be seen in JJM's first photo. It is clear already that no attempt was made to lower the floor level of the addition; perhaps the rise is solid rock...?

JJM2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a winding driveway and garage on the street level. A berm hides the new concrete foundation walls. So, the garage accounts for one of the two levels in these views.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah---a new garage under the visible wing, accessed via a drive seen at left in your first and fourth photos...

We have yet to learn if matching brick will clad the new tower and those berm walls, I suppose ?

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: