Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

1979 Haddock House by TAA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutton1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: 1979 Haddock House by TAA Reply with quote

My apologies if this has been posted before. I stumbled upon this Zillow listing for the 1979 TAA authorized Haddock house and thought it might be of interest. Enjoy the many photos.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/54799030_zpid/globalrelevanceex_sort/42.326617,-83.78691,42.307006,-83.815492_rect/14_zm/?
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sutton. We did look at this interesting posthumous house a few months ago, but thanks for reminding us of it. I am always gratified when a house is presented in a generous gallery of images !

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=7476

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall if we addressed the finish of the board above the perfs in the living room, 4 blank panels. What is that?

Other than the bedroom fireplace, which I still don't like, this house is glorious.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those light-colored panels match the sizes of the perf windows below them, and they appear to be resting on two pins each. They occur in a corner bedroom, too. I'm assuming they are movable blinds, either hinged, or loose.

I note they are not present in the shower; perhaps the owner didn't consider him- or herself vulnerable there . . . for some reason ?

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blinds? I don't buy that. There are too many perfs without that feature.
dkottum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the light-colored panels be radiant heat panels, perhaps added after original construction when it was discovered the house with its high ceilings was too cold in winter?
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you read the pair of little supports (?) that appear at the bottom edge of each panel -- including four for the corner panel ? Wouldn't the
designer of these neatly-made rectangles have sought to eliminate those from view -- if indeed an architect was responsible for the installation ?

Perhaps these are movable insulation panels, made to eliminate winter drafts or chill from the perf band that is located at the occupants' necks . . .

S
Sutton1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if they could be lights?
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any fenestration can allow cold and draft to enter the house. My guess is that these are panels to keep the cold out, not block the sun. They might help to save a bit in energy costs through the winter.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we had already concluded that the long row of perfs that runs at the bottom of the steep main roof -- in the living room and the bedroom on that rear wall -- is actually a light fixture. Photo #65 shows the exterior of
that wall and roof, and no windows are present. No privacy issue exists, there.

Photos beginning at #50 show solid white behind glazed exterior perfs, to the left of the entrance. Photos 34 and 35 show two different bathrooms; one of them has clear glass with the off-white panels above, while the other
seems to have frosted glass and no panels. White glass (?) is seen in the mirror in that photo. This bath may be the room behind the whited perf window seen in #50 ?

The office, photos #22 and 23, must be the bump-out in the carport, next to the corner bathroom. The second bedroom would be the last room sheltered by the carport, at the opposite corner of the house from the living room.
The office has no panels; the bedroom and bath (photo 34) do.

Photo #14 provides the answer to the panel question: we see a lowered panel at the center of the image, behind the light fixture. It hangs from a simple hinge perhaps made of two eye-hooks. The panel appears to have a
thin frame -- of tempered Masonite ? -- with translucent fabric glued to its face. I see no latch or magnet; perhaps the blind stays up, just past vertical, by itself ?

Photos #62 and 63 show a corner with glazed perf panels. Is that double glazing showing at the corner ? Note also the drapes hung over the lower portion of the French doors. Perhaps the owners didn't care for deer and
raccoons staring in through the glass ? The house is far from the road . . . but I suppose one doesn't want looky-loos when one is away from home.

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#14: The odd, trimmed bits in front of the perf that wraps around the corner obviously has something to do with modifying the light. Perhaps sitting across the room on a winter's day, low sunlight through that corner and the French doors hits the eye uncomfortably. The full-length perf shows, by way of reflection, that the perf glass is set inside the wood panels. There seems to be a piano hinge across the top of the window and a latch at the right end, operable for ventilation. #62, 63 confirm the separation of perf and glass.

What is strange about the full panels across the wall is that they seem not to have any framing or depth, as if they are fabric-thin sheets adhered to the wood wall. I don't see any evidence that they can be moved to cover the perfs below, yet they obviously can. The need for them is not obvious, either. They aren't needed for privacy, since most of the full windows lack curtains, even the master bedroom windows facing west toward the setting sun are not curtained.

#34: The panel wraps around a corner in the second bedroom, so obviously it cannot be lowered into position to shade the perf by hinges at the bottom.

#50 to 52: Panels in place!

#92: How did they get the washer/dryer down that circular stair?
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we now know, thanks to photo 14, that at least one panel is hinged to drop in front of a perf window, I assume that they all can; they all have the pair of pivots
visible at the bottom edge. In the corner condition, one panel would drop and then the other; note two "hinges" to each corner panel.

Note the difference in color to the panels in photos 50-52, compared to the panels seen inside. The former are dead white, while the panels are a light cream or
off-white. The room behind the former must be the smaller bathroom, at that corner of the house, where, in photo 35, a white rectangle shows in the mirror at right.
These must be permanently whited-out windows, perhaps via painted or milk glass. Other windows in the same bath appear to have frosted glass.

Residents clearly have varying notions of the necessity for night-time privacy. This house exhibits means to obtaining visual privacy at the front of the house and
at bathrooms, at least; apparently the owner didn't consider him/herself to be vulnerable at the rear of the house or in the office under the carport . . . although
one corner bedroom does have the perf blinds.

S
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

article:
https://stockdailydish.com/haddock-house-a-famous-historical-designers-personal-project-brought-to-life-years-later-by-taliesin-associated-architects/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: