LA fires: Arch Obler, etc.

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

LA fires: Arch Obler, etc.

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Paul Ringstrom

Arch Oboler Complex Appears Lost

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Arch Oboler Complex Appears Lost
While official confirmation of the destruction has yet to come, the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy has posted word that Wright’s Arch Oboler complex in Malibu appears to have been lost to the devastating fires that raged through California recently. While loss of life is much more important than loss of structures, it is still terrible to see historic properties destroyed. Perhaps the building can be rebuilt if the masonry is at least intact. Slide the divider left and right to view the alleged destruction of the Oboler Complex https://maps.geointel.org/app/gic-publi ... ociety_125.

SREcklund

Re: Arch Oboler Complex Appears Lost

Post by SREcklund »

Paul Ringstrom wrote:Arch Oboler Complex Appears Lost.
Pretty clear evidence. As soon as conditions allow, I will go by the site and put eyes and camera on what's left. Roads have continued to be blocked through last weekend, but now there's a major storm coming into town and voluntary evacuations are underway for the burn areas.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SDR

Post by SDR »

Next up: slides ? We remember Montecito, last year.

(You can find an evocative personal recollection of that event by resident and novelist T C Boyle here https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... -montecito )

Take care ! And take water-wings . . . ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I doubt the fire made the masonry unsalvageable, but heavy rain (which just stopped a few minutes ago) could undermine the foundations.
Raid did more damage to Ennis in '95 than the '94 earthquake did.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Drawing of Arch Obler House available at auction

http://groganco.com/auctions/upcoming-auctions/

Lot 33
Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"The page cannot be found."

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Apparently you have to paste the entire string in, not just the part that's highlighted.

Alternatively, go to http://auctions.groganco.com and search on "Frank Lloyd Wright".

SDR

Post by SDR »

"Your search for FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT did not return any lots."

"Raid did more damage to Ennis in '95 than the '94 earthquake did." Pardon ?

S

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

Just a typo. They meant "rain."

SDR

Post by SDR »

Aha. Thanks.

The Grogan URL is correct, but is rejected in a search. Odd.

Here's the content:

This is one of a pair of highly chromatic renders of the unbuilt Oboler residence; here's the other one:

SDR

Post by SDR »

I am puzzled by these renderings; for one thing, I can't seem to find the published sources. The Eaglefeather drawings, one with two moons, are readily available. These, of another Oboler residence
(which one ?), are not found in Pfeiffer, in "Three Quarters of a Century of Drawings," in Levine . . .

While hunting, I came across two interesting pages of Besinger, tangentially related to the questions at hand:

ImageImage

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

In the drawings Grogan has put online I don't see any text to identify the client. Might this be a misidentification? On the other hand the background landscape looks right for the neighborhood.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The text block I posted above comes from the Grogan page; the client is identified as Arch Oboler, and the drawing accords with other images from Taliesin that we've seen.

However, I'm unclear on which structure is depicted: it doesn't seem to be Eaglefeather: