Article: Museum to exhibit FLW's office for Kaufmann

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Museum to exhibit FLW's office for Kaufmann

Post by DavidC »

DRN

Post by DRN »

This is great news....it was disappointing when the office was put into storage after being exhibited at V&A for only a relatively short time. I had been thinking if was to remain in storage indefinitely, it might as well be “stored� in public view somewhere else, like a museum in Pittsburgh.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I was so disappointed - I was in London to see this exhibit a few years back and was told it was not on display. I drove all the way from Detroit for nothing.

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

That is great news! I got to see the office when it was in Pittsburgh in 1999 for the exhibition "Merchant Prince and Master Builder". It's really a gem, and I've always been a fan of the sculptural wall next to the desk. To me, it's as close as Wright ever came to Art Deco.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wright, and his helpmate Gene Masselink, created many of these triangle-based graphics, in various materials, but I believe
this is the only one rendered entirely in unpainted wood. Do I have that right ?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

A slender book was published about the room in 1993, written by Christopher Wilk, published by the VA Museum. Amazon has 16 copies ranging in price from $33 used to $185.49 new.

At 86 pages, it covers the subject thoroughly, b/w and color photos, plans, elevations, details of furniture, etc. I haven't seen it in book stores for years. The used hardcover is well worth $33.

JimM

Post by JimM »

This was a welcome and unexpected surprise that made my day after a horribly cold day at the Tower of London...

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

(JimM, you didn't lift any diamonds while you were there, did you? I remember an old film with Terry Thomas, "Make Mine Mink" (1960) about a band of unlikely burglars casing, the Tower. Hilarious.)

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

I saw the Kaufmann office in the 90's while it was in an exhibition in Kyoto, Japan. It was spectacular. Like most Wright works it was smaller than I'd expected. Also it seemed darker than it appears in most photos.
I think its ideal location would've been in the Met in New York, alongside the other rooms they have. I recall they have a few pieces of Auldbrass furniture and a perf window right next to the Little House living room. It's exciting to see that juxtaposition -- a few Usonian style fragments next to the Prairie Style room. How even better it would be to have that Kaufmann room there.

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O694 ... ank-lloyd/

I'm looking for other color views of the office. Above is the "I'm on fire" end of the scale, along with calmer, yellower photos . . .

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

SDR

Post by SDR »

oh, and this http://buffaloah.com/a/archs/wright/va/source/16.html

Japan and Scandinavia, meet Jean Prouvé ? This wall might remind EJ of Fallingwater's streamlined walnut casework. 1935 . . . ?

SDR

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

S,
That 2nd photo of your is the vibe I recall. Except, I didn’t get the benefit of seeing the beautifully warm light from the light fixtures which weren’t hooked up. What a beautiful piece of work it is.

SDR

Post by SDR »

This may be the Wright room about which we have experienced and understood least, in terms of a four-walled space. There's the classic view(s)
of the desk and decorated wall -- and so little else. I'm not sure I've yet seen all four elevations . . . in any medium.

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

Donald Hoffman’s Fallingwater book describes in some detail the development and construction of the office. The SDR linked photo notes the two names penciled under the desktop, Manuel “Sandy� Sandoval from Nicaragua was the apprentice and woodworker largely responsible for making the office, according to Hoffman.