Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: David Romero & unbuilt FLW designs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Article: David Romero & unbuilt FLW designs Reply with quote

Architect David Romero brings Frank Lloyd Wright's unbuilt designs to life in these realistic renderings

David
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I dare say that image 4/9 should have Packards on display rather than "Tri-Five" Chevys?

In any case, the new models of the Gordon Strong Objective, SF Butterfly Bridge, and the Packard dealership are great to see.....more images of these new models would be better! The car dealership looks buildable.

A model of an Erdman 3 would be neat to see as well...it can be constructed using details known to be used in the built Erdman 2's. (hint, hint, hint.)
SREcklund

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Article: David Romero & unbuilt FLW designs Reply with quote

Someone managed to jump the gun and publish the images from the press release. Here's a more ... official ... article ...

Unbuilt Frank Lloyd Wright Works Come to Life in Quarterly Magazine

Having participated in a small way in the production, I can tell you the article will include a lot more goodness ... Very Happy

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see the Wetmore Project realized, even though it seems to have had the fabulous 1950s cars in mind, instead of the dowdy blobs of the current day. "Come back, Harley Earl! Come back!!"
David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much and I'm glad you like it!

After many hours of work, mine and of many other people, it is great to see the work come to light. I am also looking forward to seeing the printed magazine!
David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN wrote:
Do I dare say that image 4/9 should have Packards on display rather than "Tri-Five" Chevys?

In any case, the new models of the Gordon Strong Objective, SF Butterfly Bridge, and the Packard dealership are great to see.....more images of these new models would be better! The car dealership looks buildable.

A model of an Erdman 3 would be neat to see as well...it can be constructed using details known to be used in the built Erdman 2's. (hint, hint, hint.)

Hi DNR, why Packard? I guess it's an aesthetic choice?

I am afraid that my choice is due more to the difficulty of finding classic quality models from the 1950s than anything else.

In one of the initial sketches, FLLW designed a sign with capital letters that read "FORD LINCOLN MERCURY" (True, it does not mention Chevrolet)

In the last drawings this sign disappeared and that is why I have not added it to the recreation (even though I thought it was pretty cool).

https://visionsofwright.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/wetmore-persp-plan.jpg
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David.
The selected cars look fine aesthetically and compositionally in the rendering. My comment about the car marque selection was rooted in previous publications noting that Mr. Wetmore had a Packard sales franchise. The comment was not aesthetic so much as historic. But if you have seen a drawing labeled with Ford Lincoln Mercury, then that might indicate the franchise may not have been Packard, or was in a state of change at the time of the design.
In any case, the rendering of this project is a welcome surprise...it celebrates Wright's enthusiasm for cars and his vision that the American commercial "strip" could be dynamic and beautiful.
Many thanks for your efforts.
David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much DNR, I didn't know that information about Packard.

On another project I've been working on, Valley National Bank, I was surprised by the idea that Wright used exposed aggregate concrete in this design, because I didn't remember that he used this material in any other design, but I searched with Google and found one:

https://dailyhappylinguist.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/img_1121.jpg?w=3264&h=2448

Of course, Unity Temple.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for what I expected to find, an early photo of Unity Temple dripping with gravelly texture, I find only this photo online, undated and apparently anonymous:

http://www.midcenturyhome.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/frank-lloyd-wright-unity-temple-4.jpg

http://www.midcenturyhome.com/frank-lloyd-wright-unity-temple/http://www.midcenturyhome.com/frank-lloyd-wright-unity-temple/

So I plowed on, into "A Testament," and "An American Architecture." In each I found only one photo of Unity, likewise undated and uncredited -- the same image in each case,
the earlier-published one cropped (and paired on the page with an identically-sized photo, also monotone and also a three-quarter or "corner" view, of the Larkin building).

So, this photo was chosen by Mr Wright, twice, in the 'fifties, from among all those available to him by that date . . .
JChoate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some more images:

Last edited by JChoate on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the one published by Mr Wright in 1955:

and then in 1957:

A 1908 photo of the building, by C Feurmann, found in Taschen I:

SDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is at least one early photo of one facade showing irregular, wave-like marks in the material, making one think of a wild concrete pour -- or two ?

It seems to me that one restoration, perhaps not the latest (?), involved work on exterior surfaces of the building. Anybody have that history handy ?

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we digress. Of David's renders of the Wetmore auto showroom, and Dan's info re the make and models to be displayed, it might be sobering to be reminded of what Packard's product offering was, c. 1947.

Believe it or not, this is what I found on the 1947 Packard line. Didn't immediately find a Packard owners' club -- for instance . . .

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/index.php?mode=year&id=1947

and, the very next year, along came the "bathtub" Packards, new for 1948 . . . !

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/04/look-at-what-i-found-1948-packard-eight-ask-the-man-who-owns-one/

And I was thinking, re which makes should an architect specify on a generic auto-related building design: How about "Ford/Chevy/Plymouth" -- the Bud/Miller/Schlitz of the American road . . .

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cars in the John Howe rendering linked by David (likely drawn by Besinger or Peters...reportedly Howe didn’t like to draw cars, the other two did) do not appear to be brand specific...generic luxury cars in the vein of a dechromed post-war Lincoln Continental. Some of the Taliesin rendering cars of the era have a Loewy-esque character about them.
In the world of CGI renderings, we typically specify cars sampled from street scenes appropriate to the setting.....family cars and mini vans at schools for instance, not limos or exotic sports cars. Cars and their colors compliment the composition and lend reality and scale to the picture, but do not distract from the subject building.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. I believe it will be found that there are very few specific auto makes depicted in Taliesin drawings.

Yet another future study in Wright: the depiction of the automobile as scenographic "furniture." Wasn't it Jack who said that he felt inadequate to the task of adding cars to rendered views, and asked a colleague to do them on his drawings ?

The most memorable of those closed cars, for me, are the swoop-back or fast-back sedans, occasionally replete with flush-mounted exterior spare tire; versions of these appear with frequency from, I think, the mid-'thirties on, until the early 'fifties ?

I'll want to wait for daylight, and the weekend, to pursue that trail. Here's a handy example:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: