Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Lake Tahoe Summer Colony
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, I can translate what's in my head onto paper, but I don't have the mechanism to transmit it to Mies, nor am I inclined to tackle this conundrum. Tahoe is interesting, but too limited so to entice me into this entanglement other than to kibitz from the sidelines.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . at which point it might become seat ? Or a desk or dressing table . . .? [to RG's first reply]

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I'm thinking those little insets in the corners could handily hold a pair of built in dressers. I would have the prow be a seating area and then have the bed centered against the wall with no windows. Knowing Wright, there would probably only be a curtain between bedroom and living room and perhaps even bedroom and bath.

I realize it is substantially putting the cart before the horse, but what sort of furniture would be here? I'm not really sure what Wright was designing in the 1920s.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stick-built nature and the geometries of some Imperial Hotel furniture, like the little "Peacock chair," would seem to apply. (Maddex calls this the Imperial Chair; "Peacock Alley" refers to a furnished passage in the hotel adjacent to the Peacock Room or banquet hall.)

This is a country cabin, albeit a dramatic and decorated one, and not an urban environment; I wonder if Wright would have designed with wicker or reed ?

Wright did not design furniture suites for the Textile Block houses, as far as I know; Freeman is more often photographed with furnishings designed by R M Schindler. Roderick would know more . . .

SDR

Last edited by SDR on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imperial Hotel

Hollyhock House

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confronting, once again, the problem of too little -- or completely missing -- historical data, the modeler might take the hint, and show only what can be found in the available drawings, making choices in cases of contradictory
information but inventing nothing from whole cloth.

Granted, this calls for considerable self-restraint on the part of the creative artist with a rich palette of tools at his disposal. So be it. To make such an "incomplete" model worth looking at, perhaps the remaining time and
energy could be put into an attractive setting, and -- even more important, to me -- a well-considered and generous video tour, with long sequences of movement around, into, and through the model . . . all without drawing a
line or choosing a color that didn't come from the original designer's hand or mind, to the greatest extent possible ?

Perhaps the work might bifurcate at some point: two models could be the result, one as described above and the other with all the bells and whistles the artist might be capable of. The first model would satisfy the Wrightian
purist (and the owners of the copyright ?), which in an ideal environment would pay for the entire project, including the second, more self-indulgent and perhaps more entertaining version of the model.

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the basics of it. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still a challenge. I have no idea what to do on the inside of this for the ceiling - none at all, but that will be thoughts for a later time.

Ignore the view of the chimney from above. It needs work.

Generally this feels correct to me.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof sections a little too tall. Chimney needs to be wider, and battered. Triangular prow bases a bit too steep (tall) ?

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree about the roof being too steep. The heights were taken from the elevation, which is more extreme. I'll bring it down a bit.

The chimney is an issue for sure, but one I don't know how to fix. First, it is very wide in the perspective, but that does not jive with the plan at all. The only way I could get it to actually work that way is to have it sit on the four rectangular piers along the "hallway" between the kitchen and living room. That seems very awkward to me.

As for the stagger of the masonry, I tried doing that initially, having each course be set 1/2" behind as it went up. The result was that it basically disappeared by the time it got as high as it should. I am considering making the stagger only begin above the roof line. I would love for the chimney to be wider though. I think it makes a bigger impact.

I'm not sure exactly what your objection is to the retaining wall. Each block is set back 1" from the course below it. I initially started with 1/2" and it was so subtle it almost didn't seem worth it. I feel that the angle I've currently got follows the perspective pretty well. Eventually there will be terrain, which I'm sure will help.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone please recommend other similar projects to look at - places I can steal some details from? I'm already looking at the E.A. Smith House, Nakoma Clubhouse, and Auldbrass. Any others, built or unbuilt I should be aware of? I know I need to just sit down and go through my Taschen volumes.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a SketchUp model, am I wrong?
Would have loved to watched as you modeled that roof.
I struggle in SketchUp with complicated geometries.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Sketchup! The trick to the complicated roofs is to start small and just keep adding elements. Getting those skylights in there was the really hard part though.

Just keep at it and you'll get there. I'm completely self taught. And remember that Youtube is amazing for this kind of thing.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encouraging.
I miss the pencil though.
It had a therapeutic, meditative quality in it's use.

... may I PM you for Youtube/SketchUp recomendations?
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good. What I noticed about the side roof sections is that the parallelogram of the large surfaces appeared too tall for their width (or length).

I have no quarrel with the slope of the foreground walls. My comment about the prow was that it seems to come down a bit too far onto those walls, making its diagonal leading edge a bit too vertical, or long, to match the view drawing.

I haven't studied how the chimney might be made wider -- but if it had to grow at the bottom to encompass those colonnades, that would nicely explain their presence . . . !

Though Mr Wright did favor whole numbers -- as I do -- in designing, it may be that the correct set-back on walls and chimneys to achieve the right batter could be some fraction of an inch. Whatever achieves a recognizable correspondence to the drawing(s) . . . ?

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: