Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright and Wealth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Wright and Wealth? Reply with quote

Has anyone done an analysis of Wright's finances? How much was he earning in his Oak Park years and how did that compare to the median wage of the time? He always lived well, but always claimed poverty. For a guy who kept everything...I haven't seen any accounts of his income, book keeping, or tax returns.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US income tax began in 1914. It wouldn't surprise me if FLW ignored the tax throughout his career. The IRS did come down on his estate after his death, but I bet there is scant evidence of his earnings on file anywhere.
Rood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime during the past year (It must have been during the Fellowship Reunion in November) I met a couple of men at Taliesin West who were/are writing a book about Mr. Wright's finances, but I don't recall their names. Expecting word about a publication date, I gave them my name and address, but so far I've heard nothing. Keep tuned.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rood, I hope the men you met weren't Roger Friedland and Harold Zellman.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what they are using as sources. Was any financial information included in the archive transferred to NYC?

I suppose someone could go all the letters and look up requests for payment and confirmation of payment received.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: