Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Broadacre pattern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Broadacre pattern Reply with quote

A new Wright Society newsletter came today, linking to a Whirling Arrow article about the Broadacre City model.
https://franklloydwright.org/reading-broadacre/

I was struck anew by the nice photograph of the model and the beautifully patterned thing it is, like a tapestry rich in texture.

The idea of rural farmland patterns when viewed from above reminded me of an experience I had years ago on a loooong plane flight from Tokyo across Russia and into Europe as far as Switzerland. After hours and hours of looking down on uninhabited Siberian wilderness, we finally crossed the Ural Mountains and began to see cultivated land, which looked like typical farming country you might see in the U.S..

Striking, however, was the contrasting appearance of Poland from above. No sooner did we cross into Poland than the pattern and texture of the ground changed and began to resemble a hardwood floor, or some textile (or maybe some pattern from a Klimt painting?)

Undoubtedly, it is a function of the way they've organized the ownership of their farmland -- into long narrow strips so that farmers can live right next to each other along roads. Makes you wonder if or how that organization affects the rhythms of daily life.

That was a memory from 20+ years ago, but I just realized Google Earth now affords a similar view. I did a quick look-see, and there it is -- that pattern you find once you get to Poland:

Poland:

SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fascinating. Perhaps single owners divide their fields into strips, each planted with one or more from a selection of crops ? One advantage might be
cross-pollination, or the work of pollinating insects, for instance ?

I recently read a note about the Broadacre City model being repainted for a later exhibition. Wright decided that pastel spring foliage, and perhaps other
modifications, were called for. Maybe that was in Besinger ? No -- the Broadacre model is cited there only in its earlier (pre-war) iterations.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: