Harold McCormick House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
brus1987

Post by brus1987 »

SDR,

Thanks for your post. In fact I know the doors open outwards, but as European I'm used to project doors inwards, must correct that!

I think that the wall you refer to is indeed a wall of windows reflecting the wall of french doors of the gallery, at least that's what i've drawn (three lines might give the impression of a full wall though)

So far so so good, the only problem with redrawing the plan, is that i would love to draw floor by floor, but the info on how the Entrance Hall opposite the big fireplace is is missing:

- one idea I had is to have another fireplace, giving it a symmetrical feeling, but not much in the spirit of Wright
- have a sort of staircase/hall area with a fountain as in Dana-Thomas

Second issue, the whole floor on top of the main rooms (i'm guessing living room/dining/gallery) hosting the guest rooms, doesnt really make sense to me or at least I don't really get it from the perspective drawings.

Love to draw by hand, at least for me it's easier to understand what I'm drawing!
Last edited by brus1987 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brus1987

Post by brus1987 »

SDR,

Just ordered a copy of the book, thanks for the info, should be getting it in a month though :(

SDR

Post by SDR »

Obeying the dictates and mores of the architectural scholar (I would be at best an amateur follower), it seems clear to me that we don't invent when
depicting the work of another; if the material isn't available, we leave it blank.

But I suppose there's another level of historical interpretation, one that could be called "recreational" in the sense of "play," in which the Sunday scholar is
free to complete the work of a past master; composers of music have been known to write the missing movement, and performers provide the absent
cadenza, when the artist didn't or wasn't able to do so ?

It is too bad that we don't have any but the principal-level plan of McCormick. So---play on !

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I'm not aware of that book, either. What was the nature of their "dramatic confrontation." Of course, we can get a lot of insight into client from the correspondence which has been indexed and put on microfilm by the Getty. I would occasionally dive into a particular project and read through the correspondence on it.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. What you suggest would make a great resource. If it doesn't already exist (and I've never heard that it does), it would make a great project, perhaps for a graduate student somewhere ?

S

JimM

Post by JimM »

SDR wrote:Ah -- of course. We don't have too many of his impressions of clients, do we. S
"Letters To Clients", 1986, The Press at Cal State Fresno, one of a trilogy (the others being "Letters To Apprentices", 1982 and "Letters to Architects", 1984)...
just happens to contain the most content of the three and if not direct "impressions", certainly a great deal indicative of his relationship with many clients.

All three volumes could be considered essential reading with much to be gained about many things coming from "the source", with commentary by BBP.

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://www.amazon.com/Letters-Trilogy- ... 0809313561

Support your local bookseller ... please !

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

A fourth book of letters is "The Guggenheim Correspondence," which focuses on the commission that consumed much of the last years of FLW's life.

Another book related to the series is "Frank Lloyd Wright: The Crowning Decade, 1949 - 1959," which includes views of FLW from the 'outside world,' FLW on FLW, Olga and Io holding forth, and views from apprentices.