Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Alexander Gerard McLucas house Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Alexander Gerard McLucas house Michigan Reply with quote

https://www.dwell.com/article/mclucas-house-alexander-girard-431194aa
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a miracle: a wonderful and unknown house, in original condition, is rescued by just the right owners. I was gratified to find that a suspicion as to
the origin of the colorful glazed brick was in fact correct. I recall that a wall of the orange-red color was erected at MoMA, decades ago, for an exhibit
(I suppose) of Saarinen's work. I wonder if Girard was only able to acquire slightly imperfect brick -- reminding us of the first Jacobs house and its
Johnson Wax-sourced bricks. I recall the MoMA wall as being pristine; maybe I'm idealizing the past That Mr Girard was a color consultant to the GM
Tech Center project wraps it up neatly, a piece of the puzzle new to me.

I like the open web steel joists, a classic element from the period. Passing it through the widow-wall posts is the unexpected, perhaps unique feature,
here . . .

Dwell is in good hands, apparently; the article is generously illustrated with good photos, and a floor plan of the house is presented at the end. Bravo.

SDR
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting application of light-commercial metal ceiling trusses. I found the fact they were not parallel to the floor a little disconcerting in an otherwise rectilinear house.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, perhaps; it's such an orthogonal design that the pitched roof is a bit off-putting. That feature doesn't seem to be visible in the exterior photos ?

The world of modernist residential (and other small-scale) structures might be divided into the flat-roofed and the pitched-roofed camps. It's possible that
some designers (if not architects) might not appreciate that a "flat" roof need not be perfectly flat; there's a whole universe of detailing pertaining to the
draining of apparently flat roofs -- or even to the intentional non-draining of them ? Wright's handling of this matter is somewhat muddled, in fact, with
some Usonian documents showing a slight pitch to a flat roof and many others apparently ignoring the issue . . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floor plan reveals the lack of architectural training in Mr Girard's resumé, perhaps; it is hardly a model of clarity. Yet it presumably works for the
inhabitants. It provides admirable separation of the five bedrooms, and gives the master suite at the rear corner a generous dressing room -- among
many other amenities.

In school an architect on the teaching staff criticized a floor plan I had drawn, for having some of the same messiness exhibited in the plan shown here.
I asked, "Does the plan have to look good as long as it works well ?" His unequivocal answer: "Yes, it does -- or should." The plans of any professional
architect bear out that dictum, it seems to me, with no better example than those of Frank Lloyd Wright.

SDR
SREcklund

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the canted trusses; it drives home that Girard was artist first and architect second, and free to express his artistry as he saw fit.

The article is an interesting story in itself ... written about Rob and Mary Lubera by Deborah Lubera Kawsky - who happens to be the author of a 2018 book on Girard, conveniently linked at the bottom of the article. While the article is interesting and the pictures compelling, if this is ultimately a marketing tool for a house about to come on the market, I won't be shocked ...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than wrinkling one's nose at the thought, horror of horrors, this article might be a precursor to a house sale, should we not applaud an educational piece to attract a purchaser who will appreciate the house and its pedigree?
SREcklund

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan wrote:
Rather than wrinkling one's nose at the thought, horror of horrors, this article might be a precursor to a house sale, should we not applaud an educational piece to attract a purchaser who will appreciate the house and its pedigree?

You are, of course, correct.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: