Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

fake Shingle Style Atrocity: An architectural criticism
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: fake Shingle Style Atrocity: An architectural criticism Reply with quote

The House is the Woman
https://www.vox.com/first-person/2018/8/6/17654434/betsy-devos-yacht-mcmansion-hell
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One might also say "The house is the man," about Michael Jordan's 56,000 sf house that he can't unload. It isn't in the shingle style, but at 2.5 times the size of the DeVos House, it's as off the charts as hers. So?
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many pearls on a string do not always make a necklace.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but it is difficult to respect anyone who believes they need more than 10,000 sq ft of house...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Palli ! We hope this marks your return to discussion of Arts and Architecture here at Wright Chat. You are missed . . .

It's always interesting to see how some (in this case, unelected) officials choose to display their assets. Where is Holland, MI ? Does she come from
there ?

The blogger's comments are amusing, if not particularly well-informed as architectural criticism: uncomfortable transitions at the eaves are par for
the course in exterior detailing and are often unavoidable when one condition abuts another. And a perfectly calm and reasonable entry door set
is made out to be something from a store-front manufacturer's catalog, unnecessarily in my view. While I have no love for Secretary of Education
De Vos, and I do enjoy architectural satire (a rare subcategory of journalism), this example might have exhibited just a tad more restraint, or
redirection ?

Of course the house is an ostentatious anachronism, and a hodge-podge to boot. It is no cheap knock-off, however; those bits and pieces are the
real deal, as obnoxiously assembled as they may be. The architect (?) was cribbing from some authentic sources, and sparing no expense in the
realization.

And, lest the reader gather the impression that the nouveau riche confine themselves to antiquated architectural expression, here's a recent publicity
piece for a modern McMansion project on Belvedere island, on San Fransisco Bay, for a site a few doors away from a very similar property and
design, the one that last year replaced the destroyed Aaron Green residence at One Belvedere Avenue.

Note that the nearly thirteen million-dollar price tag does not include an actual house: that amount buys the site and the plans for construction . . .

http://www.135belvedereavenue.com
outside in

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now we can all read about her yacht (1 of 10 in the family) that she has registered in the Caymans to avoid use fees and taxes! ONLY THE BEST PEOPLE!

https://www.newsweek.com/betsy-devos-cayman-islands-taxes-yacht-flag-foreign-donald-trump-america-1061960?utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=NewsweekFacebookSF&utm_medium=Social
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the subject of derision is BIG and RICH, an empty lot in a small area of unincorporated LA County at the north end of Beverly Hills takes the prize: Just under 200 acres, the lot, already bulldozed (once owned by Merv Griffin, who had to sell when he had financial difficulties for $8M), is now on the market for $1B! That is, if it hasn't already been snatched up.

The very rich seem more often than not to have bad taste, but to criticize real estate based on size and cost alone puts one at odds with some of the (mostly) unbuilt projects of Himself: Metzger, Shaw, McCormick, Lloyd-Jones, Wingspread. Even the comparatively modest Coonley pushed the envelope.
outside in

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The criticism is based primarily on her ability to game to system to her own benefit. Big and rich can, at times, be done quite well - Newport, R.I. comes to mind - but to take advantage of our coast guard, federally funded waterways, etc. by registering her yacht in a foreign country is shameful. It doesn't make her family "smart" it actually makes them criminals.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, outside, that's about Ms DeVos. I was talking about architecture. Her house is typical McMansion "Look-how-rich-I-am". So is Michael Jordan's. James Pritzker's massive abode is another example (which Christopher Hawthorne likened unto a large shopping mall). But the problem is to paint with a broad brush, as Stan seems to do with his comment about houses larger than 10,000 sf. FLW designed some very big houses that are quite fine, as did HH Richardson, Stanford White and Richard Morris Hunt in Newport. Excess wealth itself is a separate subject.

There are a lot of wealthy people in this country, including DeVos, Soros, Cuban, Bezos, Koch & Koch, Buffett and Gates, as well as a host of minor, non-billionaire multimillionaires like Clooney, Cruise and The Rock. Very likely all of them find ways to minimize their exposure to the tax man. If the system is game-able, vote to change it. Carping about something that has existed for well over a century, at least back to Astor and Vanderbilt, accomplishes nothing.
outside in

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it does, as it exposes this administration for what it is.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think that rich people have suddenly become worse than they were in the past, you are naïve. As chaotic as things are these days (due as much to leftist agitation and "resistance" as anything else), the one thing that remains the same is that, left or right, the rich run the world. It doesn't seem to bother many people, such as those who swooned over "Downton Abbey," a soap opera that distorted the most corrupt, degenerate culture in the history of the Western world, longing for the glory days of Edwardian England and dreaming about living the good life in a 125,000 sf mansion, full of servants tending to their every whim. Greed is, and has always been, the bane of every culture.

Betsy DeVos ($1.25B) is small potatoes compare to Jeff Bezos ($150B). Though it must be admitted, Jeff's taste in architecture is superior to Betsy's.
outside in

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned previously, big and rich is not necessarily bad - you're missing the point. I am referring to the Secretary of Education, a member of the Cabinet, who has intentionally abused our tax system to her own benefit. I'm sure your response would be "they all do it", but many actually DO NOT. If one is to hold a public office, its very important that they assume the responsibilities of their post - which means no criminal behavior.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You miss my point: I was not referencing DeVos nor anyone else, just making a statement about the architecture. Dislike are attack whomever you choose, it's irrelevant to me. Let's say the house belonged to Hillary Clinton, I would say the same thing.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'll drain the swamp !" Right . . .

Forget it, John, it's a vortex from which there is no escape. My advice to all and sundry: go to the polls on November the sixth. It's our only hope.

SDR

Oh -- and find and read Madeleine Albright's new book. Those not sufficiently familiar with history are doomed -- DOOMED -- to repeat it !

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-useful-idiocy-of-donald-trump/
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Grant chooses to separate and even supress “irrelevant” political thought from the discourse of art and architecture, while assuming that position is objective and neutral.

Whether conscious or not, to compare Betsy DeVos with Michael Jordan is an example of a (not so) veiled cynical political position. These two people have nothing in common in terms of character. They are both rich, but only one worked hard for years to get there, is a hero and role model to millions of people, and never abused his power to exploit or harm others.
Jordan knows everything about basketball, and she knows nothing about knowledge, let alone education.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-education-secretary-betsy-devos-billionaire-net-worth-2018-2

His “bad taste” and nouveau riche excesses I can forgive. She, on the other hand, is a poster child for the ignorance, self righteous religiosity, privileged arrogance, greed, corruption and ineptitude of this nightmare of an administration, and her fake 19th century shingle style house reflects all of that. Unlike Jordan, DeVos comes from money, so should know better.

Thank you, Palli. I have missed you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: