Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Buehler House
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Buehler House Reply with quote

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/07/21/orinda-neighbors-battle-weddings-at-frank-lloyd-wright-estate/
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among other things, the owner's self-promoting plaque is a bit much, and I very much doubt that the AIA has declared the Buehler house the "most beautiful home in the world." I mean, really . . .

SDR
SREcklund

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Conservancy's conference was in SF a couple of years back, this house was on the tour, but we were told it would be external only. Upon arrival, we were told that, through the incredible generosity of the owner, we could go inside. Those of us in the know understood it was nothing more than a sales pitch for the wedding biz ...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Buehler House Reply with quote

Just as we cannot determine who will have children, we cannot determine who will own a Wright house, for better or worse.

Thank you to all who are true "stewards!"
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Any owner who saves, maintains, and perhaps repairs or restores a Wright house should be congratulated and thanked.

I suppose there may have been other examples of this particular problem; we are wondering what will become of the recently-restored David Wright house,
now that the owners have apparently abandoned plans for extensive public and/or private use of the property as a venue.

SDR
Reidy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The champion in this regard is Gus Brown, who made enemies for a generation at Ennis, with both tours and parties.

Doing your homework and getting buy-in from the neighbors is not all that difficult. The Oak Park Home & Studio and the Getty in LA are examples of doing it right. (Some on Oak Park are resentful, but, unless they were there before 1974, they don't get much sympathy.)

Meyer May got its tour program going before the neighborhood gentrified, so it never had to face such issues.
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not heard of the "International Association of Architects and Designers" until I saw the plaque at the Buehler house wall...it would appear it is the creation of Mr. Shmavonian:

http://www.mostbeautifulhomeintheworld.com/home.html

If one clicks on the "About Us" tab, the page that comes up has text that appears to be for lack of better terminology, "fake"...."World Architectural Museum and Gift Shop"?!

The American Institute of Architects has no connection to a "Most Beautiful Home in the World" designation that I am aware of.

The bust is a good likeness of Wright, but a bit over the top.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that research, Dan.

I wish I could agree that the cast bust is a good likeness. Maybe a hat would have helped ?

(This one is flipped left-right)
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the image enlarged, the likeness diminishes...with a white, red, and blue leather jacket and some stars the bust could just as well be Evel Knievel.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've seen Wright depicted convincingly in three dimensions; surely (for me) the bad likenesses outnumber the good. Minimizing the unique
characteristics of a face, perhaps in an effort to improve the person's appearance, is not the route to a recognizable image.

Wright's face has those strong (and asymmetrical) vertical characer lines, lips that are thin at the extremities, and the downward-sloping left eyelid. Strengthening
these, rather than reducing them, would have been the way to go, it seems to me.

The sculptor got the long upper lip, in any event. Mr Wright would have looked ridiculous with a mustache, I think . . .

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heloise Crista's bust of Wright...there may be more than one...captured his likeness well, or at least an impression of it.

https://franklloydwright.org/heloise-crista-acclaimed-sculptor-frank-lloyd-wright-apprentice-passes-away-92/
SREcklund

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
Thanks for that research, Dan.

I wish I could agree that the cast bust is a good likeness. Maybe a hat would have helped ?

Have we in fact determined that it's supposed to be a bust of Wright? All things considered, it just might be Shmavonian ... Very Happy

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Reidy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is, it's a very poor likeness. I'd also rule out both Buehlers.
Rood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN wrote:
Heloise Crista's bust of Wright...there may be more than one...captured his likeness well, or at least an impression of it.

https://franklloydwright.org/heloise-crista-acclaimed-sculptor-frank-lloyd-wright-apprentice-passes-away-92/

Heloise had at least one copy made of her FLLW bust, and it can be found on display in Tempe, AZ, in the lobby of ASU's Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium, alongside a bust of Grady Gammage.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh-heh. Mr Shmavonian can be seen here:
http://www.lamorindaweekly.com/archive/issue0815/Frank-Lloyd-Wright-House-in-Orinda-a-Structural-Symphony.html

Here's Grady Gammage. http://library.nau.edu/speccoll/exhibits/first100/pres/gammage.html

"In 1933, Gammage resigned the presidency in Flagstaff to become the president at Tempe, a post he held until his death in December 1959."

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: