Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

New Floor, Site Plans and Elevation on Glenbrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Modmom1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: New Floor, Site Plans and Elevation on Glenbrow Reply with quote

Okay, proud mama here. My daughter who just graduated w a BA in Architecture drew as-built floor plan, site plan and elevation on Glenbrow for those who might in interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161557458@N08/albums/72157698103807454

and new photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161557458@N08/albums/72157698136770855

She is interning with Schooley Caldwell (firm that worked on both The Westcott restoration and The Ohio Statehouse).
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ! Thanks for that. It's great to have plan drawings -- especially such handsome ones -- of the house and the site. I wonder what the black dots refer to, on the small-scale site plan.

I had missed how far above the stream the house is situated. No threat of flooding here, I would think . . .

And photos of the completed house, in its lush yet manicured landscape setting, are fine to have. What an interesting and involving family activity: reviving a moribund property and a defunct house, together . . . ?

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section drawing is particularly dramatic...the drawings and the house itself look great. Kudos.
Modmom1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR,
I'm sorry but my old eyes aren't seeing any black dots on the site plan, unless you are referring to the ravine side near the orange patio (those indicate the cypress 2 X 4's (birdseye view)where the french doors attach. M said there is a roof overlay on the site plan for exterior and interior dashes refer to cabinets. Hope that helps.

She used topo maps to estimate the depth to the creek and they estimated a pretty steep 35 ft. We've had 5 inches of rain in ~2 days on occasion and since our property is near a confluence of the creek, we get tremendous whitewater rapids and an incredible roar of the rushing water, but we will never have to worry about flooding. My biggest fear is the dog getting loose when the water is really moving and gets swept away, but we're very careful. To give you an idea of the force of that water, The boulder you see on the left of this photo is about 3 1/2 feet in diameter and just appeared from upstream after a heavy rain. (I've since placed stone wedges to prevent it from traveling in the future high water):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/42439053294/in/album-72157650444413635/

Thanks all for the kind words everyone, I'll relay them to her!

Last edited by Modmom1 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats proud Mama!
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ! Good stuff all around . . .

Maren's Mystery Dots:

"Look, George -- those people down there look like ants !"

"Those are ants, dear, we haven't taken off yet . . ."

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a perfect example of a house that responds to its site so carefully, it's impossible to imagine it anywhere else. Even the boulder seems perfectly positioned.
Modmom1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, I'm still confused as to what exactly you are referring to but I'll attempt to clarify what M thought you might mean: the squares on the roof are skylights, the small white circles going off the left of the site plan are round concrete pavers that at one time lead to an Airstream(long gone but the old hook up remains) that the Gunnings once used for guests, in front of the kitchen (raised pentagon with a patio)-we cheated from the original design since the stone wall had collapsed due to heavy rains so after the french drains were dug we had the stone masons build a concrete block retaining wall-part of it is fronted with the original stack stone, part is my gabion wall made from coarse aggregative removed from beneath the concrete floor and a small section is exposed in anticipation of Joe designing/building me a wood fire pizza oven. Hope one of these answers you question. This is an old photo of the retaining wall outside the kitchen patio: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/28215223420/in/album-72157650444413635/

Roderick, I was fortunate that Tony Smith saved all of his correspondences and The Smith Estate kindly shared them with me. Several of the letters were from TvF just after they received the commission (the Gunnings wanted French Provincial Smile) and after he accompanied the Gunnings to choose a site, a brilliant choice that lead us to purchase the property despite it's dilapidated condition. The house not only zig zags along the contour of the steep ravine but is positioned to make the most of prevailing winds in the summer months (uses updrafts from the cool water of the creek and designed at a time without AC) and the use of the sun's radiance in the winter months. The huge Norway Spruces protect the house from biting winds in the winter. So besides the spectacular views the site planning by these young men was beyond exceptional. They really absorbed the importance of placement of the building on the site.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah -- eight skylights. Of course. Silly me . . .

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: