Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

KPIX S.F. 1953 Dr. Lloyd Luckmam interview with Wright

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: KPIX S.F. 1953 Dr. Lloyd Luckmam interview with Wright Reply with quote

I’m not sure if this has been shared already?

Fascinating!

https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv/bundles/191389
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's the closest I've ever come to properly seeing and hearing the man. If his interviewer hadn't been so intent on moving ahead, we might have heard even more . . . !

Delightful. The New York exhibition is running, I guess, so it's 1953. He's still hale and able to put up with, dance with, a local interviewer, one I haven't had much luck finding reference to, so far . . .

SDR
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all the analysis of Wright's life, has anyone put together an authoritative list of his media appearances?

I believe there is perhaps a lot of unknown material out there, especially audio used for various radio interviews.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime during the construction of Guggenheim, FLW encountered a gaggle of reporters outside the Plaza Hotel who interviewed him at length. One journalist recorded the interview, which was mostly the same old same old. But one asked why he disliked modern music, and Wright responded that by the end of the 19th century, acoustic orchestral music had run its course, so all the 20th century music was just a rehash of what had gone before. He suggested that composers start working on electronic music instead. Always a man ahead of his time.

Ginny Kazor had a tape of the encounter, but I don't know what has happened to it.
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there were some interviews done for Voice of America as well. I am not sure if any interviewer of the time really knew what they had on their hands. I wish just one would have asked him to describe his design process in detail.
loo tee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old boy is always good for a few chuckles. Such as saying he can't imagine how his "Butterfly" bridge would ever entail any maintenance costs, and would last forever. What a salesman! Almost as full of it as Trump.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had time to see a couple of minutes of this interview...I'll watch the whole of it later, it is great.
My only other exposure to Wright in motion AND sound was video of his 1957 interview with Mike Wallace and a 1956 appearance on "What's My Line?". In this 1953 interview, Wright was considerably more animated and his words came more rapid fire.

Imagine him in 1913, or 1933.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s this interview (1958) with Hugh Downs, too:

https://youtu.be/mLmDDXFkTWE
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you imagine Olgivanna did an eye roll back and a forehead slap when she saw the first pic offered to FLLW for comment in the Downs interview was of the Cheney house?
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee...
Notice that Wright, while describing the place in his typical poetic manner, handles it so gracefully by failing to mention the name of the client!
Rood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just after 21:00 Mr. Wright appears to state he couldn't see any reason why the bridge couldn't be twice as big .... or something to that effect.

Several years ago, when the plans were being discussed, again, in San Francisco, Aaron Green told me that Mr. Wright's bridge was criticized and rejected for being too small to handle present day traffic ... so I threw out the idea of building two bridges, side-by side. Aaron said, yes ... two separate bridges connected at the middle crossing.

From the first moment Mr. Wright apparently saw far beyond that idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: